Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Mom Sayings (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/mom-sayings-t230044.html)

bearisgray 09-12-2013 08:38 AM

Mom Sayings

Some were good - some not so good -
Any that you recall from your family?

"Some people just hate to have their opinions confused by facts" - when Man was 'on a roll'

"Dibble dabble, play in the gravel" - when child was playing in the sand/gravel after a rain

"I made it to be good" - when complimented on something she had cooked

"Let sleeping dogs lie" - when asked about circumstances surrounding her divorce

"Perfection is impossible; however, excellence is attainable" - when commenting on something she or I had made

"No point in crying over spilled milk - there's the bucket and sponge - go clean it up" - pretty much her approach to a lot of things.

Jingle 09-12-2013 08:45 AM

You made your bed now lay in it. - Bad choice of a marriage partner.
There are lots more, I have to wait for them to pop into my head. Been many years since I heard them. My Granddaughter comes up with things my Mom would have said. My Mom died 2-3 years before DGD was born. Could some be from the genes? Most of her sayings were not the norm.

Kitsie 09-12-2013 08:49 AM

My Nana: "Goodness gracious, Godness Agnes!"

bearisgray 09-12-2013 08:51 AM

I miss my Mom.

QuiltnNan 09-12-2013 08:52 AM

'your face is going to freeze like that' when making a strange face. i never understood until i was an adult that if you continually make the same face, your face will develop lines in those areas :)

JenniePenny 09-12-2013 08:54 AM

"Do you want a medal or a chest to put it on?" (Sarcastically said when I accomplished any type of chore.)
By the time I was 11, guess what my answer was? I must say that I did get the best chest of the family.....
Fast forward a few decades to being a mother of an Eagle Scout. I finally got my medal in 2013.

bearisgray 09-12-2013 08:54 AM

My Grandma B:

Fida, ishta, or uffda - I'm not sure about the spellings - I THINK they basically meant "I stepped in something I didn't mean to" or "That took me by unpleasant surprise" or "That smells really bad"

For whatever reason, she seemed to mind when the cat was laundering his/her bottom, and she would always push the cat over with one of the above words accompanying the action.

bearisgray 09-12-2013 09:01 AM

"Monkey see, monkey do" - when attempting to explain that a child will do the same things the parents do

Tartan 09-12-2013 09:06 AM

Some of my Granny's....Don't get your knickers in a twist. If wishes were horses, than beggars would ride. Going to H-E -double hockey sticks , in a hand basket. Saying the H word was a good way to get a swat up along side your head.

bearisgray 09-12-2013 09:20 AM

My MIL would occasionally do the H-E-double toothpicks thing, too.