Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Mom Sayings (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/mom-sayings-t230044.html)

Lori S 09-12-2013 05:26 PM

My grandmother never said a bad word about any one. We all have one very distinct memory of when she attended my cousins bride to be wedding shower.... after she said "I wonder what caught his eye?".

Auntevie 09-12-2013 05:58 PM

My gm always said, "it's a great world, if you don't weaken!" I now say it!

My mom: "follow the money trail" meaning people's actions (especially politicians) are often influenced by money.

stablemom 09-12-2013 06:07 PM

My mom is still with us, which I am grateful for. But for the life of me I can't remember any sayings of her, but I do remember her actions which I find myself copying! Or the tone in her voice when she says something. I keep telling my girls "That's just how my mom says it!" ...oh she says "oh my goodness" alot. My mom is a very kind, gentle lady , I don't remember her saying a bad word in her life.

moonwork42029 09-12-2013 06:52 PM

"Well, bless her heart" whenever they'd say something bad about someone, they follow up with that.

"Give me some sugar" wanting a kiss

"If I get any bigger, Dad will need a piece of chalk to mark where he left off hugging me and go around again" when she was pregnant with my little brothers.

DogHouseMom 09-12-2013 06:52 PM

"Oh go fall on your head" when we were needling her in a good humored way (she used to say our heads were hard we wouldn't get hurt if we fell on them)
"I'll give you something to cry about" when we were already crying (never understood that one)

But most of all I remember her trying to figure out my name (I'm the youngest of 4), for a while I thought my full name was "Rich, I mean Bob, I mean Deb, I mean Sue".

stablemom 09-12-2013 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom (Post 6290414)
"Oh go fall on your head" when we were needling her in a good humored way (she used to say our heads were hard we wouldn't get hurt if we fell on them)
"I'll give you something to cry about" when we were already crying (never understood that one)

But most of all I remember her trying to figure out my name (I'm the youngest of 4), for a while I thought my full name was "Rich, I mean Bob, I mean Deb, I mean Sue".

My mom did the same thing with me, I was the last of 4 kids, 3 girls and if she was upset and calling me I would hear "Paula, Carla, Gina get down here!!! lol....

In my family you knew when Mom called you by your first and middle name , it was serious so get front and center fast!

She didn't get upset too much. I think I only got 2 spankings in my life. She is only 5 feet tall, and was a kindergarden teacher and just knew how to handle little kids.

I never had a curfew growing up, but she had me so well trained that as long as I lived at home (til 24 years old) I would tell her where I was going, who I would be with. And I would even call her sometimes if the plans changed!!! Who does this with there parents this day and age!!!!

DACO48 09-12-2013 07:56 PM

My mom would say, "If your bored, I can find something for you to do." Needless to say we never complained about being bored.

stablemom 09-12-2013 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by DACO48 (Post 6290500)
My mom would say, "If your bored, I can find something for you to do." Needless to say we never complained about being bored.

I can honestly say I don't know what being bored is like. There was always something to do growing up and now. Reading, playing outside, cleaning something, crafts, just sitting around enjoying some still time

Edie 09-13-2013 03:54 AM

When we were kids (my two sisters and I), we never put things back where they belonged or returned things so she would say and I'll always remember her for this one (she died 1-1/2 months ago - 96) "Never empty handed to the kitchen go",
Easy to remember, to the point and thinking it might be a threat or something, we returned everything all the time.

This was a wonderful nostalgic thread.

I always said to our son when he was doing his crocodile thing - You want something to cry about?????? I'll give you something to cry about.'

Have a great day! Edie

Or the time my sister and I had come home from lunch and we were happy and whatever, looking forward to a nice lunch and we got the giggles, so much so that we were snorting milk out of our nostrils (that's gross). Well, she made us get up, took our chairs into the living put the chairs in front of each other and made us sit down facing each other and very nicely said "NOW LAUGH." Needless to say, the whole lunch turned into tears, didn't get to finish our lunch before we went back to school and always remembered to save our outrageous giggles for a time we weren't drinking milk.

We never figured out why the giggles and the laughs wouldn't come. Lesson learned! Good Mother. Thanks, oh wise one!!!!!!

Now the son has his sayings - Granddaughter says "Dad I got an A in my advanced math test." "Oh Good, now I don't have to beat you tonight." The kids would laugh like crazy!

Sandygirl 09-13-2013 03:56 AM

" No one is looking at you!"

So true. This phrase gets me thru the day, esp when I head to Walmart in my grubbies. But of course that IS the day that I run into people I know! LOL! Dr. phil has a similar saying...a little more complicated than this brain recalls.

i miss my Mom daily...been almost four years.