Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Moving to Fl...any suggestions? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/moving-fl-any-suggestions-t59352.html)

Beachbound 08-14-2010 07:24 AM

We finally decided to put the house on the market (wish me luck there!!) and make the move to Fl. Our son lives in Orlando & I would like to be within an hour of him but I'm not sure where. We love small towns, we're leaving a hugely overdeveloped area by Atlanta & want to say good bye to traffic. I need a great library, low crime, friendly people ;-)...and good LQS would be nice but there is always online for that. Any thoughts for me? Thanks! 8-)

lots2do 08-14-2010 07:26 AM

Glad you posted this. I'll be watching the responses. We are considering a retirement move some time in the future.

There is a great quilt shop, Rainbows End, in Dunedin but that's pretty far from Orlando.
lots2do

Beachbound 08-14-2010 07:27 AM

I'm thinking Polk County or around there. So much to do first!!!

thismomquilts 08-14-2010 07:28 AM

Stuart, FL has GREAT LQS - Jam Patch

RMM 08-14-2010 11:39 AM

Check out The Villages...it is 1 hr 15 min from Orlando airport (northwest)...25 min from Leesburg and 35 min from Ocala. Quilt shop about 8 mi. Lots of quilt guilds and any other activity you could possibly want.

quilter2 08-14-2010 02:15 PM

There's always Lake Mary, about 25 minutes from Orlando, don't know where in Orlando your son lives so it could take longer. Great library, nice place to live.

Jingle 08-14-2010 05:40 PM

Good for anyone that wants to live in Florida, way too hot for me. I hope you have good luck selling your home and finding a place you like.
I would like a cooler place, like Trucky,Ca. or Jackson,Wyoming, I have always hated the heat.

Beachbound 08-14-2010 05:41 PM

Thank you! I am seeing lots of nice houses in Davenport. I'll look at Lake Mary. RMM, I did look at The Villages, it might be too pricey for us. I need to stay around 200K

sewnsewer2 08-14-2010 06:06 PM

I live in Central Fl (Merritt Island). Just don't go much further south than Vero Beach, too much crime. Orlando seems to have a lot of crime too. My area does not and I am close to the beach, Orlando (45 mins away) and we have wonderful quilt stores! I am 1-1/2 miles from the mall and 2 miles from Wal-Mart! :D

janedennis 08-15-2010 02:38 AM

I live in Ocala National Forest right outside Ocala. It is beautiful here. We have traveled all over Florida in our RV and found that Ocala is beautiful as well as Silver Springs. We are about an hour from Orlando and there are plenty of things to see and do and also just sit and relax. If you go on the west side Ocala it is the horse capital of the world and the open paddocks of horses makes for beautiful drives in the evening. If you need any info PM me.