Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Moving to Fl...any suggestions?

We finally decided to put the house on the market (wish me luck there!!) and make the move to Fl. Our son lives in Orlando & I would like to be within an hour of him but I'm not sure where. We love small towns, we're leaving a hugely overdeveloped area by Atlanta & want to say good bye to traffic. I need a great library, low crime, friendly people ;-)...and good LQS would be nice but there is always online for that. Any thoughts for me? Thanks! 8-)

Glad you posted this. I'll be watching the responses. We are considering a retirement move some time in the future.

There is a great quilt shop, Rainbows End, in Dunedin but that's pretty far from Orlando.
    lots2do

I'm thinking Polk County or around there. So much to do first!!!

Stuart, FL has GREAT LQS - Jam Patch

RMM
    Check out The Villages...it is 1 hr 15 min from Orlando airport (northwest)...25 min from Leesburg and 35 min from Ocala. Quilt shop about 8 mi. Lots of quilt guilds and any other activity you could possibly want.

There's always Lake Mary, about 25 minutes from Orlando, don't know where in Orlando your son lives so it could take longer. Great library, nice place to live.

Good for anyone that wants to live in Florida, way too hot for me. I hope you have good luck selling your home and finding a place you like.
    I would like a cooler place, like Trucky,Ca. or Jackson,Wyoming, I have always hated the heat.

Thank you! I am seeing lots of nice houses in Davenport. I'll look at Lake Mary. RMM, I did look at The Villages, it might be too pricey for us. I need to stay around 200K

I live in Central Fl (Merritt Island). Just don't go much further south than Vero Beach, too much crime. Orlando seems to have a lot of crime too. My area does not and I am close to the beach, Orlando (45 mins away) and we have wonderful quilt stores! I am 1-1/2 miles from the mall and 2 miles from Wal-Mart! :D

I live in Ocala National Forest right outside Ocala. It is beautiful here. We have traveled all over Florida in our RV and found that Ocala is beautiful as well as Silver Springs. We are about an hour from Orlando and there are plenty of things to see and do and also just sit and relax. If you go on the west side Ocala it is the horse capital of the world and the open paddocks of horses makes for beautiful drives in the evening. If you need any info PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by sewnsewer2
    I live in Central Fl (Merritt Island). Just don't go much further south than Vero Beach, too much crime. Orlando seems to have a lot of crime too. My area does not and I am close to the beach, Orlando (45 mins away) and we have wonderful quilt stores! I am 1-1/2 miles from the mall and 2 miles from Wal-Mart! :D
    We vacationed at Cocoa beach this summer. That LQS in Rockledge made my heart sing!!

Quote Originally Posted by janedennis
    I live in Ocala National Forest right outside Ocala. It is beautiful here. We have traveled all over Florida in our RV and found that Ocala is beautiful as well as Silver Springs. We are about an hour from Orlando and there are plenty of things to see and do and also just sit and relax. If you go on the west side Ocala it is the horse capital of the world and the open paddocks of horses makes for beautiful drives in the evening. If you need any info PM me.
    This areas is on our list too! Thanks for letting me ask question if I need to~ I just might! Hubby wanted to sell the house & buy an RV & travel the country...no house!?! I just couldn't do that..I need a homeplace.

Always carry a BIG can of Raid. The bugs down there are big enough to carry off a small car....lol

I lived in the Ft. Lauderdale area, one thing I learned is. If you decided to rent, ask for a year lease. If you don't you will be paying tourist prices (they jack up the rentals and motel rooms during Nov.to April).

Blog Entries
    PLEASE check this website out before you make any permanent move. So many people have looked here and decided not to go to the sales office because they thought it would be too pricey.

www.hawthorneatleesburg.com

It is Hawthorne at Leesburg - located in Leesburg - between Lady Lake (The Villages) and Clermont. We rented for two months at the Villages and almost bought there - UNTIL someone told us just what I'm telling you - just check Hawthorne out before you do anything. It is about an hours drive to Orlando - actually maybe just a little less. Driving to either Orlando or Tampa airport is convenient.

We LOVE it. It is a retirement community with 1200 homes - manufactured homes and it is beautiful with LOTS and LOTS of activities. Our lot dues are 262 a month and that includes our grass cuting, water and sewage, garbage pickup twice a week and basic cable. There is no golfing but we do have a beautiful Marina and boat dock.

Oh, and we do have a nice LQS in Leesburg. The little town of Leesburg is the nicest, cleanest, quaint little towns - the kind of town you drive thru and want to stop to browse. Lots of little shops and restaurants AND free parking all over town.

Boy, maybe I should start working for the sales office.

Pat

Feel free to PIM me if you have any questions.

Blog Entries
    [quote=Beachbound]I need a great library, low crime, friendly people ;-)...quote]

Ooops, forgot to say that Leesburg has a beautiful 2 year old, newly built library. If you go to Leesburg.com you can click on a link for the library with pictures of the state of the art library.

We also have a VERY nice library in Hawthorne but of course, it can't compare to Leesburg's library.

Pat

thanks, Pat! This is just the kind of info we're looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk
    Always carry a BIG can of Raid. The bugs down there are big enough to carry off a small car....lol

I lived in the Ft. Lauderdale area, one thing I learned is. If you decided to rent, ask for a year lease. If you don't you will be paying tourist prices (they jack up the rentals and motel rooms during Nov.to April).
    ah, but I live outside of Atlanta now & have HUGE hardwoods in my yard. The 'bugs' that fall off the trees in the fall are a decent size too...if you want to saddle them up & ride them. :lol:

If you invest in a pest control you dont have bugs, havent seen one in my new place yet and that is six months ago.

Beachbound, I've lived here for 20 years and never had a bug problem, we do use a pest control company. If you have any questions just PM me, glad to help in any way I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Beachbound
    Quote Originally Posted by sewnsewer2
    We vacationed at Cocoa beach this summer. That LQS in Rockledge made my heart sing!!
    Yep The Quilt Place is awesome!

I'm in Polk. Be extremely cautious about buying any home without proof that the sheetrock is not Chinese. After the 2004 hurricanes, construction used this cheap alternative for repairs and most of the new construction until problems showed up. The drywall corrodes heating and AC systems, electrical wiring, and makes those sensitive to it deadly ill. Since the economy tanked, many of these properties reverted to banks, and any home warranty that may have covered costly repairs may be unenforceable. The contractors are gone.

Winter Haven has a great little quilt shop called Heartfelt, and the Patchwork Pig in Lakeland has nice stuff, too. Both Lakeland and Winter Haven have Joanne's, and there is a Hancock Fabrics on South Florida Ave in Lakeland.

If you have a lot of disposable income, FL can be a lot of fun!

Quote Originally Posted by RMM
    Check out The Villages...it is 1 hr 15 min from Orlando airport (northwest)...25 min from Leesburg and 35 min from Ocala. Quilt shop about 8 mi. Lots of quilt guilds and any other activity you could possibly want.
    A friend of mine was talking about the Villages last week they are golfers. She said everyone drove there golf carts to everywhere. She loved the area

Quote Originally Posted by Moonpi
    I'm in Polk. Be extremely cautious about buying any home without proof that the sheetrock is not Chinese. After the 2004 hurricanes, construction used this cheap alternative for repairs and most of the new construction until problems showed up. The drywall corrodes heating and AC systems, electrical wiring, and makes those sensitive to it deadly ill. Since the economy tanked, many of these properties reverted to banks, and any home warranty that may have covered costly repairs may be unenforceable. The contractors are gone.

Winter Haven has a great little quilt shop called Heartfelt, and the Patchwork Pig in Lakeland has nice stuff, too. Both Lakeland and Winter Haven have Joanne's, and there is a Hancock Fabrics on South Florida Ave in Lakeland.

If you have a lot of disposable income, FL can be a lot of fun!
    Interesting......and how do you ask about that without sounding less than PC??? :roll: Maybe I should just look at house built from 2005 & up.

Disposable income???What is this you speak of??? Actually hubby retired at the early age of 54 but after 5 years of retirement he may/will have to go back to work. Nothing corp. but enough to support our hobbies.

Quote Originally Posted by texas granny
    Quote Originally Posted by RMM
    A friend of mine was talking about the Villages last week they are golfers. She said everyone drove there golf carts to everywhere. She loved the area
    Neither of us golf anymore but it might still be an option. Thanks

Interesting......and how do you ask about that without sounding less than PC??? :roll: Maybe I should just look at house built from 2005 & up.

Disposable income???What is this you speak of??? Actually hubby retired at the early age of 54 but after 5 years of retirement he may/will have to go back to work. Nothing corp. but enough to support our hobbies.
    I would insist that testing for sheetrock problems be part of your home inspection. Write in any offer that the home must pass testing. When the outlet covers are removed in affected houses, you can see the copper wiring has oxidized and the copper in AC units gets pin-holes from the corrosion.

They were using Chinese wallboard for a few years before new homeowners were taken seriously with their complaints. Along with a heavy off-gassing of sulpher, there have been some dangerous heavy metals found in the sheetrock.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_drywall overview
    http://www.doh.state.fl.us/environme...spections.html state health dept. checklist

Jobs are nearly non-existant here. I took a part time job in February, and still have not found full-time work. I bet 50-75% of the warehouses and commercial buildings along I-4 are sitting empty. Tourism is way down, and that was the state's prime source of tax dollars. Instead of a state income tax, there are fees on top of fees, on top of fees, for all sorts of things.

In your favor, banks are dropping prices on foreclosed properties, and you are in a much better position than a few years ago. Orlando has much more "civilization" than some areas in the state.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast