Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   my last days on dial up (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/my-last-days-dial-up-t117611.html)

ptquilts 04-20-2011 04:09 PM

Well on Friday we will be getting DSL - woohoo!! It is supposed to be 10 times faster than dial up. We are in a rural area with exactly ONE internet provider that happens to be the local phone company. They are having a special, waiving the $95 setup fee if you convert from dial up.

How about everyone else, anyone still on dial up or was I the last dinosaur?

Painiacs 04-20-2011 04:12 PM

Hurray for u! Wow and on special too! Nice!!

craftybear 04-20-2011 04:14 PM

I love my dsl and you won't miss dial up

alissa 04-20-2011 04:15 PM

nope still on dial up, live in a rural area and no dsl. I would love to be on dsl, someday I guess

carolaug 04-20-2011 04:18 PM

comcast here...hate the monthly bill but I suppose its worth it.

emerald46 04-20-2011 04:28 PM

You will be very happy with DSL!

Diana Lynne 04-20-2011 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
Well on Friday we will be getting DSL - woohoo!! It is supposed to be 10 times faster than dial up. We are in a rural area with exactly ONE internet provider that happens to be the local phone company. They are having a special, waiving the $95 setup fee if you convert from dial up.

How about everyone else, anyone still on dial up or was I the last dinosaur?

Your going to LOVE DSL...We had dial up and went DSL and will not go back...Its very fast..

jdiane318 04-20-2011 04:38 PM

The nicest thing about DSL is being able to talk on the phone and play on the computer at the same time. My girlfriend still has dial up. She had computer trouble, called me on her cell for me to help her. She commented how nice it must be to be able to talk on phone and be on the computer at the same time. They are 4 houses away from getting DSL. Being in the city isn't so bad, I told her.

erstan947 04-20-2011 04:51 PM

We can't get DSL or cable.....dial-up or Hughesnet. We have Hughesnet (expensive but worth it):)

BKrenning 04-20-2011 05:14 PM

Wildblue here. It's satellite or dialup less than 40 miles from St. Louis. A house with 4 geeks does not "do" dial-up--LOL. We also have an aircard that hubby uses when he is on call for work and I can use my cell phone as a modem when I'm on the road & for backup. Snow, rain, or heavy cloud cover are really bad days for the geeky kids so they have iPhones with unlimited plans.

What really burns me is all the money the feds and Missouri gave out to bring broadband to rural areas and I guess since we aren't really rural--we don't count. Terrain is the biggest problem around here. Very hilly, rocky and tree covered. We barely got cell service until 3G got turned on here a year or so ago. There is a Wi-Max repeater less than 2 miles from here but the trees block the signal too much. Clear (which uses Sprint's network) gets 2 bars but they have a ridiculous cap (500mb). Supposedly, when Sprint gets their 4G running, it will be unlimited. Yeah, I actually had a cell provider tell me unlimited means any time of the day or night--not the amount of data--so I'll only believe that when I see it in writing.