Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: my last days on dial up

Well on Friday we will be getting DSL - woohoo!! It is supposed to be 10 times faster than dial up. We are in a rural area with exactly ONE internet provider that happens to be the local phone company. They are having a special, waiving the $95 setup fee if you convert from dial up.

How about everyone else, anyone still on dial up or was I the last dinosaur?

Blog Entries
    Hurray for u! Wow and on special too! Nice!!

Blog Entries
    I love my dsl and you won't miss dial up

nope still on dial up, live in a rural area and no dsl. I would love to be on dsl, someday I guess

Blog Entries
    comcast here...hate the monthly bill but I suppose its worth it.

You will be very happy with DSL!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts
    Well on Friday we will be getting DSL - woohoo!! It is supposed to be 10 times faster than dial up. We are in a rural area with exactly ONE internet provider that happens to be the local phone company. They are having a special, waiving the $95 setup fee if you convert from dial up.

How about everyone else, anyone still on dial up or was I the last dinosaur?
    Your going to LOVE DSL...We had dial up and went DSL and will not go back...Its very fast..

The nicest thing about DSL is being able to talk on the phone and play on the computer at the same time. My girlfriend still has dial up. She had computer trouble, called me on her cell for me to help her. She commented how nice it must be to be able to talk on phone and be on the computer at the same time. They are 4 houses away from getting DSL. Being in the city isn't so bad, I told her.

Blog Entries
    We can't get DSL or cable.....dial-up or Hughesnet. We have Hughesnet (expensive but worth it):)

Wildblue here. It's satellite or dialup less than 40 miles from St. Louis. A house with 4 geeks does not "do" dial-up--LOL. We also have an aircard that hubby uses when he is on call for work and I can use my cell phone as a modem when I'm on the road & for backup. Snow, rain, or heavy cloud cover are really bad days for the geeky kids so they have iPhones with unlimited plans.

What really burns me is all the money the feds and Missouri gave out to bring broadband to rural areas and I guess since we aren't really rural--we don't count. Terrain is the biggest problem around here. Very hilly, rocky and tree covered. We barely got cell service until 3G got turned on here a year or so ago. There is a Wi-Max repeater less than 2 miles from here but the trees block the signal too much. Clear (which uses Sprint's network) gets 2 bars but they have a ridiculous cap (500mb). Supposedly, when Sprint gets their 4G running, it will be unlimited. Yeah, I actually had a cell provider tell me unlimited means any time of the day or night--not the amount of data--so I'll only believe that when I see it in writing.

I'm jealous! I'm still on dialup and may be forever. Windstream tells me they have no plans to install DSL in the forseeable future.

still have dialup here. no cell service unless I am high on a hill either. we have wildblue and it is awful. spotty and slow at best. if a mouse has gas in the back forty it won't work. if one of the coyotes howls across the pond, it freaks. wind from north south east or west or even getting dark...too hot too cold...sun comming up, going down etc. then throw in explorer updating and scrwing up the computer...drops service, won't come on.. I hate vista...been three days trying to get my email..

Quote Originally Posted by toomanycats
    still have dialup here. no cell service unless I am high on a hill either. we have wildblue and it is awful. spotty and slow at best. if a mouse has gas in the back forty it won't work. if one of the coyotes howls across the pond, it freaks. wind from north south east or west or even getting dark...too hot too cold...sun comming up, going down etc. then throw in explorer updating and scrwing up the computer...drops service, won't come on.. I hate vista...been three days trying to get my email..
    Wildblue isn't that bad for us. We have had a modem go bad and once there was a problem with the "tree" which is on the dish. I'd be calling for service NOW! Vista can be a pain but if your modem isn't working right, or router if you're using one, no operating system is going to help.

u verse att

Blog Entries
    As much as I love living in the country, there are some disadvantages. We were on dial-up forever before we finally went to mobile internet from at&t. It was about 10 times faster but really expensive and often frustrating. We've had wireless high speed (from our electric cooperative) for the last year and love it! Expensive but lightning fast...nice to be able to fully utilize Netflix, iTunes, etc.

Blog Entries
    I have heard a lot of people say they didn't like vista, but I have had vista for about three years and had not one minute of trouble. I have DSL now but did have dial-up for years so I know what you are talking about. I hope I never ever have to go back to that.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by erstan947
    We can't get DSL or cable.....dial-up or Hughesnet. We have Hughesnet (expensive but worth it):)
    Same here....too far from tower to have DSL, so settled for Hughesnet (sattlelite)....it is expensive, but it is a little faster than dial-up. Got rid of the extra phone line too, so that helped on the expenses too. Mary

Blog Entries
    Woo Hoo!! You will be amazed at how much faster you can cruise the net now :D:D:D

wow, I got it and it is much faster!! Now I won't get as many books read while waiting for the internet!!