Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   My Pastel Bush Finally Shows Off.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/my-pastel-bush-finally-shows-off-t291293.html)

Geri B 09-19-2017 03:16 PM

Unusual, but according to referenced site, not a good plant....are those berry edible (animal/birds) or toxic, decorative?
In my neck of the woods - Illinois - all my blossoming plants have been spectacular! Early in season cut down a magnolia because it suddenly just turned brown.....well now Im getting shoots were the main trunk is...will let it grow and see what happens...sorry to see fall approaching..and then the dreaded winter!

DogHouseMom 09-19-2017 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Watson (Post 7909341)
Well, Dunster, it was sold to me as a Pastel Bush, so I can't say if it is Porcelain Berry...it looks alike. Good thing I live in a subdivision where it can never escape.
Jokir44, it is about 8 feet high, but it has taken a long time to get there.
Tartan, my Black Eyed Susans didn't flower at all this year either....just not a great year for flowering annual vines, I guess.
Watson

Well ... not necessarily true. Most plant seeds, berries in particular, are spread through animal droppings. Birds, Squirrels .. etc. If this plant is edible, fences will not keep it out.

I must say it's a lovely plant, but after reading about it's invasive properties I will have to decline. My husband and I have a business in the horticulture industry and I was wondering why I haven't heard of this plant before through trade shows and my customers. Now I know why. Pity.

Jingle 09-19-2017 05:55 PM

The berries are pretty.

I have heard a honeysuckle vine is next to impossible to get rid of. I cut it out and every year I saw a sprig I cut it out. The vine never came back.

Thumbelina 09-19-2017 06:19 PM

How unusual and beautiful a plant. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Nanny's dollface 09-19-2017 06:28 PM

What great color combinations! Now I know what to add to my teal fabrics! Thanks!

BETTY62 09-19-2017 07:18 PM

How unique. It is beautiful.

quiltingshorttimer 09-19-2017 09:07 PM

never seen that plant before. Around here, Bradley pears have become invasive, just like Eastern Red Cedars.

toverly 09-20-2017 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer (Post 7909622)
never seen that plant before. Around here, Bradley pears have become invasive, just like Eastern Red Cedars.

That's really interesting, I guess under the right conditions, any plant thrives. I remember them planting Bradley pears in all the flower beds around town. Here in Florida, so many become invasive all they really need is water to thrive.

Battle Axe 09-20-2017 04:52 AM

Could you dye fabric with those? Reminds me of poke salad...the colors.

Barb in Louisiana 09-20-2017 05:28 AM

That is a unique plant. It actually looks fake because it is so unusual. I wonder if it would grow in Louisiana. Probably not. We are so hot and humid that we do kill some plants.