Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   My promise to give (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/my-promise-give-t87316.html)

Ladyjanedoe 01-03-2011 09:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I typically don't make New Years resolutions but this year I made myself a series of promises to myself .

First and foremost was to do at least one thing a month to help a stranger. I completed my January task this morning by donating 10" + of my hair to Locks of Love. Now I just have a shoulder length bob and I confess I have no idea what to do with it.

The stylist cut the lengths off, but my son and I mailed the package. He was so excited! I'm planning on including him in all my adventures.

I figure I'll save a fortune in shampoo and conditioner but mostly it just feels good to do something unselfish.
I encourage everyone to consider a personal promise such as my own. Small steps make our world a better place.

ptquilts 01-03-2011 09:57 AM

what a nice thing to do!! Got before and after pics??

M.E.H. 01-03-2011 09:59 AM

I like your promise. I think I will try it. :thumbup:

erstan947 01-03-2011 10:13 AM

Random acts of kindness can be giving hair. Leave an area cleaner than you found it ex: public bathroom, breakroom at work, roadside litter pickup etc. Also paying for the coffee of the next person line. And the list goes on. You hair donation is amazing gift.:)

luvstitches 01-03-2011 10:29 AM

Great idea, I think I'll do the same. (except the hair)
I don't have enough length to donate.
Thanks for the inspiration.
Nancy

ann clare 01-03-2011 10:35 AM

Thanks for sharing this great idea.

leaha 01-03-2011 10:47 AM

I grew my hair long just so I could give it to the locks for love. Had 13 inchs long to give.
Great idea to do some thing each month, will try to do the same!

Ladyjanedoe 01-03-2011 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by erstan947
Random acts of kindness can be giving hair. Leave an area cleaner than you found it ex: public bathroom, breakroom at work, roadside litter pickup etc. Also paying for the coffee of the next person line. And the list goes on. You hair donation is amazing gift.:)

I like your idea. I have a running list and I'll add your ideas . One of the things is to pick up trash down at the park. We'll even take our pooper scooper as a sad number of people will not clean up after their pets.

Jim's Gem 01-03-2011 10:59 AM

Wonderful thing for you to do!!!

It would be good for all of us to something little to make someone else's life a little better.
my daughters have donated to locks of love several times. My DD#2, who's pregnant with my first grandchild is donating some hair again on the 10th. Hers grows fast enough to donate every year!!

Ladyjanedoe 01-03-2011 11:09 AM

I wish mine grew quickly but it's simply too fine in texture. It was time to take it off. I had been putting off a trim for quite some time.I'm glad there was a place I could send it. Makes me feel not so bad about such a big change.

I'm really impressed with people who do this many times. I'll start growing mine again I think.