Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   "My" rules for showing someone eles a quilt I have made - - (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/my-rules-showing-someone-eles-quilt-i-have-made-t270015.html)

Snooze2978 09-16-2015 05:14 AM

When I show my quilts before giving it to the recipent as all my quilts are gifts to someone. I might say how I came to doing this particular pattern and why these fabrics as I try to match the quilt to the personality of the person receiving it. Such as my Bricks & Stones is for an elderly gent who still farms so searched for veggies and fruit fabrics, sashed it with browns and blacks, no florals as its for a gent and the quilting patterns couldn't have any flowers in it either. So I make mind to fit the person I'm giving it to. If I make mistakes I might point it out but most everyone I know around here aren't quilters so it wouldn't matter if I made huge mistakes or not as they wouldn't know the difference. I was wait patiently for the reaction from the person when I give it to him/her. That makes it worth all the stress I went into making it.

Wanabee Quiltin 09-16-2015 06:07 AM

I love showing my quilts and tell them the pattern (if I know it) but never tell them the cost of the fabric or where I bought it because I wouldn't most likely know. If they ask how long it took to make it, then I will guess at that too. I don't quilt for anyone but myself, I would have a hard time selling anything.

BettyB 09-16-2015 10:05 AM

Good for you!!!!

Jingle 09-16-2015 12:19 PM

I show my quilts to my Husband, Son, Daughter and Granddaughter. I just hold them up and they look at them. Not a big deal.

cjsews 09-16-2015 12:32 PM

The best show and tell I had was when the grandkids were small. As their friends came by they would take quilts out of the cedar chest and walk the kids around the house to see that Grandma made all these herself

tuckyquilter 09-16-2015 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by grann of 6 (Post 7318735)
I also happily show my quilts to anyone who wants to see them, no explanations or excuses for anything on them. If they ask if one is for sale, or would I make them one, my reply is usually, " yes, for $800". I have one I especially love that took a lot of time and some unsewing that I told them was for sale for $2000. That usually ends any comments or questions.

I don't do "commercial" work, however when asked how much it would cost to "make a quilt IF they furnish the fabric" I still quote anywhere from $400 to $1000. I love what Sam Hunter said.. ""NEVER undervalue My Work".. I sure don't. LOL

Jan in VA 09-16-2015 09:44 PM

My rules include a first rule FOR ME...... DO NOT give a hoot what someone else thinks of MY quilts, they were made for me. Keep MY negative reactions to THEIR reactions to myself, and absolutely "file 13" them as soon as the viewer leaves! (This is particularly relevant for me when sharing my quilt/s with other quilters/guild members.)

Jan in VA

nwm50 09-17-2015 04:52 AM

Good for you, onebyone!
I just tell it outright at show and tell real quick about name of pattern or where I learnt how (usually MQ tute) I made it or give credit but don't like to spread it out to a storytelling thing. I will state if it's for Linus/Vet

nwm50 09-17-2015 04:56 AM

Francine yuhas.....u are funny!!

quiltingshorttimer 09-17-2015 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA (Post 7319490)
My rules include a first rule FOR ME...... DO NOT give a hoot what someone else thinks of MY quilts, they were made for me. Keep MY negative reactions to THEIR reactions to myself, and absolutely "file 13" them as soon as the viewer leaves! (This is particularly relevant for me when sharing my quilt/s with other quilters/guild members.)

Jan in VA

like Jan's rule! I agree--I know the problems I had with the quilt so no one needs to point them out!

I like when at Guild, members explain the thought process they used picking the pattern and fabric (but no need to include cost--we all know that!) and how they quilted (or who did the quilting). That gives the rest of us inspiration.