Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   The mystery quilt experiment (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/mystery-quilt-experiment-t241123.html)

Billi 02-14-2014 01:15 PM

The mystery quilt experiment

2 Attachment(s)
Awhile back Tartan posted about a Barbra Graham mystery novel murder by sunlight asking if anyone had done the mystery quilt in the book.
I downloaded the book to my kindle and seeing the first set of clues (directions) I decided to try it. I have no idea what got into me I have never done any kind of mystery quilt so everything about this is a new experience.

First choosing fabric well how do you do that when you have no idea what it's going to be? While she gave very clear instructions regarding the type of prints you need I was still very intimidated.

I chose my A fabric then went on a hunt for b,c, and d I thought choosing something with just a few colors would make it easier I don't know maybe it did maybe it didn't but whatever I totally stressed over it more than I should have. I finely decided on a pallet I found pleasing and started cutting.

While at first the cutting instructions threw me so I reread them and did was she wrote instead of what I thought she wrote and it worked out great. My biggest issue was a couple of the cuts were in increments I rarely use like 2 7/8 squares. She was generous with the amount of fabric needed with out having a ton of leftovers.

So now I have everything cut and I'm reading on to get to the next clue I can't decided if not being able to easily flip through the book to find the next clue before you get to it is a good thing or not but I have decided to patiently read to each clue do that step then continue on.

Picture 1 is my pallet picture 2 all cut up with sticky notes waiting for me to get to the 2nd clue.

Jan in VA 02-14-2014 05:08 PM

Like your fabrics, but I admit to being most impressed by the flip-flops!! :p
I can't even imagine.....we have 10" of ice-crusted snow on the ground here.:rolleyes: :D

Jan in VA

Billi 02-14-2014 06:07 PM

Thanks Jan I think it will work out.
It was 84 here today I can't even comprehend that kind of ice. :shock:

DOTTYMO 02-14-2014 06:37 PM

Billie , Tartan got me going as well . I downloaded the book but had to finish the lady in the attic before I began. Will keep watching and post my plan.

Tartan 02-14-2014 07:41 PM

Looking good!:)

happylab 02-14-2014 07:50 PM

I like your choice in fabric, very pretty. I down loaded her 3 books and plan to make her mystery quilts in the next few years. Thank-you for pointing out her books to me.

lfstamper 02-14-2014 07:51 PM

Looks great so far.

wanda lou 02-15-2014 01:33 AM

looks good so far, keep us posted.

blahel 02-15-2014 03:30 AM

I cant wait to see how your quilt turns out as i am also one who has never attempted a mystery quilt but it sounds like fun to read and then sew as they are two of my favourite things to do.

helou 02-15-2014 03:46 AM

WOW! what a fun challenge. I had not heard about this book and I will be watching your progress for sure.