Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   need advice on pressure cookers! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/need-advice-pressure-cookers-t73807.html)

jinik 11-04-2010 03:16 AM

I just moved here too from MA and am finding cooking a challenge. Baked foods take much longer to cook and I need to set the oven at a higher temperature. Keep me posted on your pressure cooker decisions!

butterflywing 11-04-2010 12:42 PM

got married for the first time in '62 and got my first presto in'63.
i still have both, but the presto hasn't been any trouble at all.

annieb 11-04-2010 03:04 PM

I've used a pressure cooker for over 40 years and until 8 years ago I was sold on Presto. HOWEVER, I now use a Magfesa from Spain and I love it. It is so much easier to use, gives you 3 different signals before you have too much pressure and is stainless for really easy clean up. Gave one to all my kids and they love their's also. Mine is a 6 qt. but they have 8 qt. models as well. Google it and you should come up with some info - might also try ebay.

C.Cal Quilt Girl 11-04-2010 03:24 PM

I'm a flatlander, not much elevation here, but love to cook in them cuts the time down so much. Using a Fagor no problems, but have used an old one with the ratteling weight on top, liked that because, if it was rattling too fast, knew to turn down the burner.
Did learn not to put green chili sauce in with meat, burned to the bottom of the pan (woops) but cleaned upwell, now add after the meat is cooked, to still get the flavor. real chili might work better with less chance of scorch.
Have been warned that they can go boom, if in a hurry to open have let the steam out first, propped spoon on the weighted ones just to lift a little. the other has a release on the handle, psstpsst :)

sherriequilts 11-05-2010 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
got married for the first time in '62 and got my first presto in'63.
i still have both, but the presto hasn't been any trouble at all.

that's too funny!

butterflywing 11-05-2010 01:27 PM

the hubby has sometimes been a PIMA. :lol: :lol:

postal packin' mama 11-15-2010 06:44 PM

I have four stainless steel pressure cookers and constantly use them all.
They're all FAGOR brand, made in Spain for the past 50 years, and have good safety features. They're rated top of the line.

Check out "missvickie.com" for everything about pressure cookers plus recipes.

sherriequilts 11-16-2010 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by postal packin' mama
I have four stainless steel pressure cookers and constantly use them all.
They're all FAGOR brand, made in Spain for the past 50 years, and have good safety features. They're rated top of the line.

Check out "missvickie.com" for everything about pressure cookers plus recipes.

Wow, four! Glad to hear this and the website. I just purchased a Fagor and am anxious to try it out. Thanks for your info.