Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   need advice on pressure cookers! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/need-advice-pressure-cookers-t73807.html)

sherriequilts 11-02-2010 05:25 AM

I have just moved to the mountains above Albuquerque, NM, elevation 7000+ feet. Think I will be needing a pressure cooker for beans, etc. I have never used a pressure cooker. Which brand would you recommend? Thanks for any advice offered.

amazon 11-02-2010 05:33 AM

I love the Presto brand, stainless steel. I have two and use them daily for everthing.Mine are 6 quart size. Parts are easily found and inexpensive. Never had a problem with mine. I like the design of the handle and that it is plain & simple. Hope this helps :D Added** I follow the recommedations in the booklet that comes with it and my food comes out perfect everytime!

jcrilley 11-02-2010 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by amazon
I love the Presto brand, stainless steel. I have two and use them daily for everthing.Mine are 6 quart size. Parts are easily found and inexpensive. Never had a problem with mine. I like the design of the handle and that it is plain & simple. Hope this helps :D Added** I follow the recommedations in the booklet that comes with it and my food comes out perfect everytime!

Definitely Presto!

sewgull 11-02-2010 05:51 AM

I would think you should still soak dry beans before cooking. I have cooked beand in PC, tasted good.

CoyoteQuilts 11-02-2010 05:56 AM

I have had the older ones (thicker metal, don't know what kind of metal...) and the newer thinner metal one. Mine are Mirro's. I like the thicker ones. The first time I cooked beans in the thinner one they burned and I can still see the outline in the bottom. I was using a glass top electric stove and that may be what caused this. Both work just fine as far as the 'pressure' cooking part goes. My thinner one came from Wal-mart.

Good luck on your search.

kathy 11-02-2010 06:43 AM

what ever brand you choose just be SURE you have let off ALL the pressure before you open it! I don't think the newer ones will open too soon but I had an old one that would, I THOUGHT it had bled down enough, when I slid the handle sideways to unlock it, WHAM!!! I had chicken on the ceiling!! Thankfully I could "duck and cover" fast enough not to get burned but wow what a mess. and we had to have sandwiches for supper, the dogs were happy though!

julia58 11-02-2010 07:23 AM

If you go on QVC, they have some excellent ones, and you might get lucky enough to find them on easy pay. Anything cook essentials make is excellent. But if you want one today, this won't work.

winter012 11-02-2010 08:42 AM

I was raised using Mirro brand pressure cookers. I like them because the pressure is pre-set, so you don't have to keep an eye on the pressure gauge. You'll find a 4-1/2 qt to a 6 qt is the best size depending on the size of your family. They also make a tall one used for canning meat & vegetables, although fruits can be canned in it, just don't use the pressure. I LOVE my Mirro pressure cooker! They are so versatile & just downright useful!! Don't be afraid of it, just enjoy it!!!!

Under pressure in El Paso

cjtinkle 11-02-2010 11:28 AM

That depends, are you wanting a pressure cooker for canning or for cooking?

For canning, there is nothing better than an All American.

For cooking, you can't beat Kuhn Rikon. They are FABULOUS!

DebraK 11-02-2010 11:30 AM

In regards to the flying chicken...

that happened to me once too. Now I don't feel so bad ;-)