Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Need ideas for older grandchildren (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/need-ideas-older-grandchildren-t301226.html)

LavenderBlue 11-28-2018 06:47 PM

Need ideas for older grandchildren

Our grandchildren are 24, 23, 17, 17 and 15. For several years we have gifted them at Christmas with cash or gift cards. Each year I try to wrap something small to go with these......favorite candy, pj's, card games, personalized pillowcases, etc. Going blank this year and it seems to be coming extra fast. Care to share ideas? Thank you!!

QuiltE 11-28-2018 07:01 PM

Something quilty?
How small is small?
And yes, I know, some of these are probably too big but maybe they will inspire!

tree ornament(s)?
purse ?
tote bag?
credit card wallet? (with a gift card in it?)
phone case?
laptop case?

Good Luck!

quilt1950 11-28-2018 07:02 PM

Water bottles. My grandchildren always seem to have one with them.

If they are responsible for getting some of their own meals, how about bowl cozies, personalized to their interests.

Are they sports fans? I saw some cute socks supporting football teams today.

Mkotch 11-29-2018 03:14 AM

This year I made key fobs for a lot of people (the whole library staff, nieces, etc.). They were quick and easy. If the folks have small dogs, you can try making leashes, although I wouldn't think they'd be strong enough for larger dogs or those who pull (ours did). What about mug rugs, candle mats with candles, placemats, table runners? Bowl cozies have gone over well with my bachelor son. And zipper bags are great for wrapping gift cards.

Little Lulu 11-29-2018 05:01 AM

One year I made set of 4 zipper bags with their monogram, first name, etc. embroidered on them and put the money inside the smallest one. Last year I did Yeti tumblers and stuck the money inside and then did a bag with vinyl decorations to put all of it.

This year, I had pottery mugs made with each of their favorite college teams and will put the money inside.

Hope this helps.

jetayre 11-29-2018 07:15 AM

If you give cash, give them a separate card with maybe $5 extra for them to pass it on to someone they think could use it....sharing Xmas!

Kitsie 11-29-2018 08:35 AM

Nice idea!!

eimay 11-29-2018 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by jetayre (Post 8168500)
If you give cash, give them a separate card with maybe $5 extra for them to pass it on to someone they think could use it....sharing Xmas!

I think this is an outstanding idea. It supports the pay it forward movement and brings an unexpected present to someone.

my-ty 11-29-2018 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by jetayre (Post 8168500)

Brilliant idea! Santa might do this in the stockings this year.

I would want to hear what each Grand does/did with their "sharing money".

quiltingshorttimer 11-29-2018 07:55 PM

I just made a phone holder--so simple and all the kids getting one. I use a stiff Pellon, about 10x5", cover with fabric, put 2 pockets on front (one for phone, one for earbuds, keys or sunglasses to tuck in) and cut a hole (I use oval) above the back/phone pocket--they can either hang from the door knob with stuff they need as they head out, or hang on the phone charger plug-in while charging. I made 4 in one hour out of scraps.