Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Need ideas for older grandchildren

Need ideas for older grandchildren

Our grandchildren are 24, 23, 17, 17 and 15. For several years we have gifted them at Christmas with cash or gift cards. Each year I try to wrap something small to go with these......favorite candy, pj's, card games, personalized pillowcases, etc. Going blank this year and it seems to be coming extra fast. Care to share ideas? Thank you!!
    Last edited by LavenderBlue; 11-28-2018 at 06:50 PM.

Something quilty?
    How small is small?
    And yes, I know, some of these are probably too big but maybe they will inspire!

tree ornament(s)?
    purse ?
    tote bag?
    credit card wallet? (with a gift card in it?)
    phone case?
    laptop case?

Good Luck!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Water bottles. My grandchildren always seem to have one with them.

If they are responsible for getting some of their own meals, how about bowl cozies, personalized to their interests.

Are they sports fans? I saw some cute socks supporting football teams today.

This year I made key fobs for a lot of people (the whole library staff, nieces, etc.). They were quick and easy. If the folks have small dogs, you can try making leashes, although I wouldn't think they'd be strong enough for larger dogs or those who pull (ours did). What about mug rugs, candle mats with candles, placemats, table runners? Bowl cozies have gone over well with my bachelor son. And zipper bags are great for wrapping gift cards.

One year I made set of 4 zipper bags with their monogram, first name, etc. embroidered on them and put the money inside the smallest one. Last year I did Yeti tumblers and stuck the money inside and then did a bag with vinyl decorations to put all of it.

This year, I had pottery mugs made with each of their favorite college teams and will put the money inside.

Hope this helps.

Blog Entries
    If you give cash, give them a separate card with maybe $5 extra for them to pass it on to someone they think could use it....sharing Xmas!

Blog Entries
    Nice idea!!
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Quote Originally Posted by jetayre View Post
    If you give cash, give them a separate card with maybe $5 extra for them to pass it on to someone they think could use it....sharing Xmas!
    I think this is an outstanding idea. It supports the pay it forward movement and brings an unexpected present to someone.

Quote Originally Posted by jetayre View Post
    Brilliant idea! Santa might do this in the stockings this year.

I would want to hear what each Grand does/did with their "sharing money".

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I just made a phone holder--so simple and all the kids getting one. I use a stiff Pellon, about 10x5", cover with fabric, put 2 pockets on front (one for phone, one for earbuds, keys or sunglasses to tuck in) and cut a hole (I use oval) above the back/phone pocket--they can either hang from the door knob with stuff they need as they head out, or hang on the phone charger plug-in while charging. I made 4 in one hour out of scraps.

Depending on where you live.....how about a set of jumper cables for the car? We are in Michigan----Last year we gave our college kids a set of jumper cables, a small camp shovel (to dig out of the snow), a flashlight for the car, a bag of kitty litter. (You should have seen our daughter's face b/c she is VERY allergic to cats and we do not have a cat. I had her open the kitty litter first..)
    Also included a safety hammer (able to break the passenger window with tungsten carbide tip, cut seat belt if it gets stuck). We also live near lots of lakes and bayous..able to break a window to get out of car if electrical system fails.

How about a gift card for a sandwich shop?(Jimmy Johns up here).
    chapstick
    toothpaste and toothbrush (Stocking stuffers)
    Beef jerky
    driving glove
    Bag with movie tickets
    microwave popcorn and a 2 liter of pop (soda)
    coffee mug with bag of homemade hot chocolate and candy cane stuffed in mug
    coffee mug stuffed with M & M's
    Last edited by sailsablazin; 11-29-2018 at 08:11 PM.

Cinema gift cards
    gift card to Sephora, Ultra or other makeup/perfume store
    If they have pets, a quilt for them monogrammed with their name
    Gas money
    Tickets to a sporting event, concert etc
    zip up hoodie with university or high school logi
    gift cert. for car wash

Blog Entries
    A few years ago, I bought some unusual flavored chapsticks, and tied them in the bow. A few flavors I found were waffles, bacon, gingerbread, candy cane, gumdrop, etc. everybody needs chapstick. It is December.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Blog Entries
    Wouldn't be any help on the older grands, but the 15 yr. old I can give ideas. Our oldest gr.daughter wants to receive food items. I know she gets plenty to eat at home, as her Mom is a good cook.
    The oldest gr.daughter has ordered food items. So, I have picked up the small packages of chips, all kinds, candy in the boxes, and she loves Mac and Cheese Dinners. So, that was part of it.
    It surprised us with her request!
    Good Luck with the gifts!
    Mariah
    Have a wonderful Quilting Day, make it your way!
    Marta
    Martha Tompkins

Some things my kids in that age range appreciate--

-gourmet coffee samples
    -body scrub
    -lint rollers (to keep in car to get dog hair off)
    -tools (when they moved out on their own: hammer/screwdriver/tape measure)
    -Hot Hands handwarmers and toewarmers
    -movie passes
    -earrings
    -beef jerky
    -ice scraper for car
    -gift card for fast food, coffee shop, Ama---, auto shop
    -thick socks

When our grands we’re high school Seniors, we gave them their own tool bag. Included a pill bottle with all sizes of nails so they can hang a picture. Extension cord, basic tools, duct tape. The ideas are endless.

Quote Originally Posted by tranum View Post
    When our grands we’re high school Seniors, we gave them their own tool bag. Included a pill bottle with all sizes of nails so they can hang a picture. Extension cord, basic tools, duct tape. The ideas are endless.
    Excellent idea! So many young people have no tools at all. We have 2 younger employees working for us. Both are adults with their homes and families. When they had been with us 10 years, my husband bought each one a nice roll around tool box. One got a big tool box because he already had a lot of tools. The other one got a smaller one filled with tools. The boy didn't even have a hammer or wrench at his house! I can't even imagine . . .
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

I made these for my adult children a couple of Christmases ago, and they were well received. My SIL uses my daughter's now, to hold open a cookbook on the counter while he cooks.
    https://factotum-of-arts.com/2013/11...oneipad-stand/
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
    I made these for my adult children a couple of Christmases ago, and they were well received. My SIL uses my daughter's now, to hold open a cookbook on the counter while he cooks.
    I’ll be making these. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
    Very nice, but I don't use rice to fill anything, because if it gets wet there's a very nasty mold that grows on it which can be fatal if the spores are inhaled into the lungs. I use small gravel/craft stones instead.

When my grand was in high school she was always eating out with her friends after school. A food card to a few favorites they went to was a good extra gift for her. She could splurge and buy burgers and fries for everyone every so often. LOL If they have their own car then pre paid oil changes, or car washes are good.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

If they have their own car, a AAA membership is golden if they break down on the side of the road.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tranum View Post
    I’ll be making these. Thank you.
    Me too!!!! This is very timely Thank you so much.

Blog Entries
    Cozy Wool socks are always appreciated
    Create something beautiful from scraps.