Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Need to make a new retreat bag or a clutch purse (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/need-make-new-retreat-bag-clutch-purse-t277314.html)

d.rickman 04-01-2016 07:37 AM

Need to make a new retreat bag or a clutch purse

1 Attachment(s)
I completed a class on making a clutch purse/wallet...one of the ladies later made 200 and sold them at craft fair for $70 each, they were gone in 30 minutes.....[ATTACH=CONFIG]546678[/ATTACH]
The pattern is free from: emmalinebags.com. Also she has retreat bags in two sizes, you can see in the background pictures of those. I made 16 clutch purses for friends and family this past Christmas, and so far have made 4 retreat bags utilizing the large size pattern.

ManiacQuilter2 04-01-2016 08:09 AM

Wow, lucky her.

elnan 04-01-2016 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by d.rickman (Post 7511409)
...one of the ladies later made 200 and sold them at craft fair for $70 each, they were gone in 30 minutes.....

The purchasers are either very affluent or not crafters themselves, because here in SW WA, many of the vendors end up taking home much of their offerings. What I notice here are people attending to get ideas for what they can make. A $70 ditty bag would get notice, but no matter how well made, even with the internal frame and stiffener, I doubt that it would sell at that price in this neck of the woods.
As ManiacQuilter2 said, lucky her.

Tartan 04-01-2016 08:58 AM

Nice clutch but I can't imagine making 200 but she made good money on them!

DOTTYMO 04-01-2016 11:11 PM

I admire the lady who made 200. I just wouldn't have the patience. Love your clutch and the ones in the background.

Sandygirl 04-02-2016 03:07 AM

When I walk through craft shows I look for excellent craftsmanship, functionality, eye appeal, etc. I assume that her booth was eye catching and professional too. Obviously she combined all of that to have the quick sell through on her items. Customers were given a reason to open up their pocketbooks. That is wonderful! Just because someone "can" make something does not mean it meets high standards and is marketable. Kudos to her!

sandy

lindaschipper 04-02-2016 05:42 AM

Sorry, might have stopped to look, but the price would have changed my mind. My husband says on some things I'm cheap....LOL

nativetexan 04-02-2016 05:54 AM

Wonderful for her!! lovely bag and not even close to Christmas!! Easter presents?

waltonalice 04-02-2016 07:51 AM

That's $14,000! I have no idea how long each bag took, especially after the lady "learned" the pattern and invented some shortcuts, but it sounds as if she was able to make a very fine profit. I'm very impressed.

Golfergal 04-03-2016 04:20 AM

Really like the looks of this little purse and would like to try one but I could not find the free pattern! Saw the tutorials for the closures but not the whole purse.