Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Need to make a new retreat bag or a clutch purse

Need to make a new retreat bag or a clutch purse

I completed a class on making a clutch purse/wallet...one of the ladies later made 200 and sold them at craft fair for $70 each, they were gone in 30 minutes.....Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 967
Size:  199.7 KB
    The pattern is free from: emmalinebags.com. Also she has retreat bags in two sizes, you can see in the background pictures of those. I made 16 clutch purses for friends and family this past Christmas, and so far have made 4 retreat bags utilizing the large size pattern.
    Quilting People are the Best, Have a great sewing day!
    DonnaJ

Wow, lucky her.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Quote Originally Posted by d.rickman View Post
    ...one of the ladies later made 200 and sold them at craft fair for $70 each, they were gone in 30 minutes.....
    The purchasers are either very affluent or not crafters themselves, because here in SW WA, many of the vendors end up taking home much of their offerings. What I notice here are people attending to get ideas for what they can make. A $70 ditty bag would get notice, but no matter how well made, even with the internal frame and stiffener, I doubt that it would sell at that price in this neck of the woods.
    As ManiacQuilter2 said, lucky her.

Power Poster
    Nice clutch but I can't imagine making 200 but she made good money on them!

Blog Entries
    I admire the lady who made 200. I just wouldn't have the patience. Love your clutch and the ones in the background.
    Finished is better than a UFO

When I walk through craft shows I look for excellent craftsmanship, functionality, eye appeal, etc. I assume that her booth was eye catching and professional too. Obviously she combined all of that to have the quick sell through on her items. Customers were given a reason to open up their pocketbooks. That is wonderful! Just because someone "can" make something does not mean it meets high standards and is marketable. Kudos to her!

sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Sorry, might have stopped to look, but the price would have changed my mind. My husband says on some things I'm cheap....LOL

Blog Entries
    Wonderful for her!! lovely bag and not even close to Christmas!! Easter presents?

That's $14,000! I have no idea how long each bag took, especially after the lady "learned" the pattern and invented some shortcuts, but it sounds as if she was able to make a very fine profit. I'm very impressed.

Really like the looks of this little purse and would like to try one but I could not find the free pattern! Saw the tutorials for the closures but not the whole purse.