Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Need or Want: Food Processor (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/need-want-food-processor-t241964.html)

Snooze2978 02-26-2014 08:27 AM

My old small processor/chopper died so I went out to check what was out there. Found one small enough to do what I use it for by Cuisinart in metallic red that fits my kitchen decor. I think its only a 3 or 3.5 cup but it does what I want it to and its easy to clean up. I keep mine under the cabinet so its not out in the open. I use mine mainly for chopping onions, green peppers and nuts. I'm still using my old Hamilton Beach Model G mixer and until it dies I won't be going out to buy one of those fancy do-it-all guys. I'm still using my 1969 all metal & glass blender. Some small appliances just last forever it seems if made properly. My sister just got a KitchenAid Processor for whatever reason as she doesn't cook much. Thought it a waste but its her kitchen. She also has the big fancy KitchenAid mixer which she uses once in a blue moon. Seems foolish to me but again its not my kitchen.

Misty's Mom 02-26-2014 08:31 AM

I have the cuisinart blender. Used it just last night to ch apples for bread. I also use it to mix pie crusts, really fast and handy. I use mine quite a bit mixing and chopping and grating and shredding cabbage. Just think of the things you do by hand. They can all be done in the processor. I had a kitchenaid and it was a waste of money. Glad I got the cuisinart at Costco

zennia 02-26-2014 08:48 AM

I am glad you asked this question. I have one and only use it once in a while to slice potatoes. i would have told you its a waste of money. After reading this thread I say go ahead and get one. I picked up many ideas her--Thanks Ladies.

madamekelly 02-26-2014 09:26 AM

I have given away the first one I bought, the two I was gifted with, and the one I won in a drawing, (all different brands) I just didn't use them much, and hated cleaning them.

wraez 02-26-2014 09:30 AM

I don't have one so no experience to tell the difference, I love my Vitamix, it sits on my counter (it is the 48oz, short size) and I use it daily for protein shakes, also use it to make p-nut butter, flaxmeal, chiameal etc etc etc. It can be pricey but it has been worth every penny. I spent $ on other products that I ended up not being happy with, had I purchased the Vitamix first instead of trying to save $ I wouldn't have been more $ behind. It will do cheese, make hamburg out of steak, etc etc. You can watch a video of it on QVC which is where I bought mine, to see all that it can do.

trivia42 02-26-2014 09:34 AM

I got the cuisinart for christmas two years ago and love it! Between that and my Kitchen Aid stand mixer my life is so much easier. My FP has awesome power. My only complaint (which isn't really) is that I have to hand wash it to get the goo out of the corners and replacement parts aren't cheap.

gale 02-26-2014 09:37 AM

I went 20 yrs without one. I had attachments for my kitchenaid but didn't really like using them. I also have a tupperware chopper that works fine. But I wanted one so last Thanksgiving I bought one for myself and I've used it a surprising number of times since then. Mine is a 7 cup cuisinart. I put it all in the dishwasher so it's super easy to clean. I also have a 3.5 cup kitchenaid food chopper that was a gift. I use it sometimes too but not as much as the bigger one so far.

teddy300 02-26-2014 09:38 AM

I've had a Cuisinart for over 30 years and it is still going. Great for grating cheese, making doughs, chopping nuts, making almond butter, etc. The base got cracked in a move from Hawaii but still works fine.

gale 02-26-2014 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 (Post 6596011)
For those of you have the Ninja, is it a food processor or a blender? I think the only Ninja's I have seen are blenders.

Ninja actually makes a lot of different things. I have a 3 in 1 cooker that is a Ninja.

quiltmom04 02-26-2014 09:54 AM

I cook a lot for my family of four. I had a food processor at one point, but didn't have room on the countertop for it, and as a result, I never dragged it out of the cabinet to use it because it wasn't worth the effort for the cleanup. I got rid of it. I did get a mandolin which I use a lot. But it fits in a drawer and easily accessible.