Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Needle question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/needle-question-t299478.html)

suern3 09-12-2018 01:32 PM

Even with the large needle, I have to be cautious when sewing over the jeans' side seams. I turn the "hand wheel" by hand over the seams. Slow and careful. I have to hem jeans for both my husband and I. I really do not like doing it, but that's how it goes:) When our neighbor started asking me to do hemming for him and his lady friend, I easily said no. Although I have sewn quite a few buttons on shirts for him, not completely hard hearted! Good luck with your hemming.

bearisgray 09-12-2018 01:47 PM

I also use a jeans/denim needle when hemming jeans.

Our neighbor in Florida has asked me to hem jeans for her husband. My payment is a slice of lemon meringue pie.

madamekelly 09-12-2018 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by carolynjo (Post 8125442)
I'm puzzled by the comment that your comment that the store is holding something from you?

Me too. I would call the manufacturer and ask them to change it to your name. You are the buyer, and the warranty is for you not the person who sold it. I have a feeling that they are doing something unethical.....

Aurora 09-13-2018 05:29 AM

My 6430 Viking recommends 90/14 as the most desirable needle to use regularly. While I keep a supply of all sizes of Schmetz needles on hand, the 90/14 is what I use most often. I do have a pamphlet put out by Schmetz on recommended sizes to use for specific instances/fabrics somewhere, I will have to find it and use it as a reference for a more informed needle use.

cashs_mom 09-13-2018 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by carolynjo (Post 8125442)
I'm puzzled by the comment that your comment that the store is holding something from you?

I was curious about that, too. What does "holding my account from me" mean? I'd be tempted to contact Babylock directly. If you have paid for your machine they shouldn't be holding anything from you. If you haven't yet paid for it that might be a different story.

Auj 09-15-2018 03:43 PM

Lemon meringue pie inexchange for hemming jeans? I think that is a fair trade!

Auj 09-15-2018 03:46 PM

I'm with the others who wonder why the store is holding your Babylock account?

romanojg 09-16-2018 05:51 AM

They acutually make jeans needles that are made for them.

Kelsie 11-18-2018 01:04 PM

I know this is a slightly older thread but I have to say bearisgray If I hemmed someone else's jeans then I want the whole pie not just a slice.

tranum 11-21-2018 12:48 PM

Jeansmagig is a plastic thing that helps presser foot go up and over the thick seam. Goggle, you might see it used.
Family member had an alteration business & she would pin jeans hems in place then take it out to the sidewalk and softly pound the seam kind of flat, (note: I said “kind of flat”) to help sew over it. I was successful once then next time I made a hole in the fabric ! Yikes ! Pound at your own risk !
There are You tubes about taking a tuck above the hemline then trimming off the tuck. It keeps the original hem. Done that, I got some strings hanging down but I trimmed and after a couple of washings, didn’t bother much anymore.