Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Needle question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/needle-question-t299478.html)

Ms Morgan 09-11-2018 03:01 PM

Needle question

I'm going to hem some jeans, so I think I figured out I need a needle of 80/10 or 70/10. Any advice on size and I have a babylock, so I'm not sure if certain needles are better for that type of machine. The store I bought it from is holding my babylock account from me. They registered the warrantee.
Thanks in advance! I know its not really a quilting question but its one of the reason's hubby agreed to getting my machine which is mostly for quilting!

Ginaky 09-11-2018 03:19 PM

For jeans you need a much larger needle than that. I would use a 90/14. They also make needles for denim. Denim is thick and when doubled or tripled for the hem, a needle that small will bend and break.

Ms Morgan 09-11-2018 03:48 PM

Thank you Ginaky! but one more question, do they all fit all machines?

Prism99 09-11-2018 04:20 PM

You are best off using a jeans needle — size 80 if the denim is not heavy, size 90 for thick, heavy denim. You could use regular needles in those sizes too, but jeans needles have a sharper point designed specifically to penetrate denim easily. Schmetz brand needles fit most modern machines. The store where you bought the machine will know and, if they are a dealership, they should also have the needles in stock.

Rhonda K 09-11-2018 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Ms Morgan (Post 8125196)
The store I bought it from is holding my babylock account from me. They registered the warrantee.
!

Did you receive the manual for your machine? There should be a guide about needles, sizes and types. I don't understand why are they holding your account? Your machine should be registered to you.

Best wishes and have fun!

nvb50 09-11-2018 05:37 PM

I use a 100 / 16 for jeans

cashs_mom 09-11-2018 06:06 PM

I use 90/14 jeans or microtex needles to hem my husband's jeans. Having a hump jumper or jeansmagig for getting over the seams also helps.

Jingle 09-11-2018 06:52 PM

I have a Babylock Jane, straight stitch only Organ needles came with it. It will use schmetz, my Juki won't.
90/16 is what I would. But then again I would not hem pants. Been there done that not any more.

carolynjo 09-12-2018 04:55 AM

I'm puzzled by the comment that your comment that the store is holding something from you?

ckcowl 09-12-2018 01:04 PM

Jeans needle, 90/14 is common for denim, depending on the thread you are using. ( if the thread is really heavy you might want bigger yet.
as for brand— common brands we use are Schmetz ( been around for ages) and Organ seems to be becoming popular. I’ve had a few Organ brand needles sent free with orders from a couple shops. When I’m buying needles I purchase Schmetz- just because I’ve used them for so many years. Singers have their own needles.