Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Netflix? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/netflix-t264484.html)

chaskaquilter 04-27-2015 05:28 AM

The cable company has got me for a lot of money each month because I love to watch the Minnesota Twins and that is not on a network channel. If it wasn't for that I would just have the WiFi and be able to save money and use my Netflix and Amazon Prime. I do bump down to a less expensive package after baseball season. That is one good thing about not being on a contract with the cable company.

pjnesler 04-27-2015 06:01 AM

I got a smart TV for my sewing room since there was no cable running in there, now I watch whatever I want from Netflix or Amazon as others have mentioned. I love it! I also listen to books on my IPod, free wireless downloads from the library here in town, what could be better. Monica Ferris is an author that has a series about a "needle worker" murder sluth that has me wanting to pick up my knitting and cross stitch again - very fun to listen too, and since I'm from Minnesota, and the series is based in the Twin Cities area it makes it even better!

Roberta 04-27-2015 06:39 AM

We have had Netflix since it was first introduced and use it all the time when regular TV has nothing on. I also use it in my quilting room to watch how-to video's so I can follow along. Best $7.99 we've spent but I understand the price has gone up a little unless you've been a long time customer.

quiltybarb 04-27-2015 09:14 AM

I don't subscribe to Netflix either....Lately, I've been listening to audio books while I sew....

tesspug 04-27-2015 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by mike'sgirl (Post 7177840)
I have a question those with Netflix might be able to answer. We have direct tv and still have some time on our contract. I want to cancel it and get Netflix but my dh is concerned about sports channels. He loves his football. Will be still be able to get it or is it just for watch tv and movies? Thanks, Gina

For sports check out SlingTV. It's $20 a month and you get ESPN, and I think ESPN2.

ManiacQuilter2 04-27-2015 02:32 PM

I quit Netflix about 3 years ago because I was watched out of all the movies I wanted to watch. They certainly have cut down on the number of movies now available. Thinking of testing out Amazon Prime.

lovelyl 04-28-2015 03:37 AM

I don't have Netflix either. I have Amazon Prime, which I love and watch on my PC or iPad.
Also, check out your public library to see if they offer Hoopla. You can download 8 movies a month for free if you have a library card. I watch these movies on my PC or iPad.

MaryKatherine 04-28-2015 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by mike'sgirl (Post 7177840)
I have a question those with Netflix might be able to answer. We have direct tv and still have some time on our contract. I want to cancel it and get Netflix but my dh is concerned about sports channels. He loves his football. Will be still be able to get it or is it just for watch tv and movies? Thanks, Gina

I'm a bottom of the pack techno peasant, but my husband is the IT guy. We have a "box" the size of a deck of cards and through the wifi on the main computer in the house he can select a "remote" IP address and watch any sport, anywhere. The same hold for all mainstream television series. No commercials, and 5000 channels.
We dropped our cable for a lot of the same reasons but even though we don't pay other than wifi changes etc, there is still very little quality material out there. If we watch more than 1.5 hours in the evening, (no commericals) its a rare event. Great to catch up on some of the series we used to follow.

Halo 04-28-2015 04:29 AM

I have had Netflix with a Roku box for years & love it. That is all we have. Just not interested in the crap that is on regular TV. Once we have watched all that is listed, I go online & change for new ones. Can also punch in a title with the remote to find different movies. We can watch several of the family series that we watched as kids. We can get just about anything we want.

madamekelly 04-28-2015 09:25 AM

DD1, DD2, and DH and I are all on a Netflix family plan, in each of our homes. Costs us about $13 per month doing it this way, so it is cheaper for all of us.