Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   New England Floods (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/new-england-floods-t41436.html)

Carole3450 04-01-2010 02:49 PM

Has anyone been affected by the floods in New England?? Today I saw first hand some of the devestation in MA. My heart goes out to these people who have lost everything (from the floods 2 weeks ago) and again from the floods of the past weekend.

slc 04-01-2010 03:34 PM

I am up in Maine, and so far the water has risen onto the lawns but nothing in the roadways yet. Last year i was almost unable to get home because of the water.

lots2do 04-01-2010 03:51 PM

slc-
Where is the town you live in? I'm from Maine originally myself but I don't think I've ever been there. (Just being nosy)...

saf45 04-01-2010 03:54 PM

i live in lincoln,maine and so far we are ok no flooding yet

littlehud 04-01-2010 04:14 PM

The flood situation is horrible. I feel so sorry for all those people.

QBeth 04-02-2010 06:28 AM

Hello from southern NH. We've had a number of roads closed due to overflowing rivers. My sister, who lives on a river, so far, hasn't had to evacuate as she's done in the past -- "they" now manage two dams on either side of her a lot better. Three years ago, she had water up to her first floor of her split-entry. What a mess!

The only other flooding damage we've had has been to my boyfriend's son's car. He's known for driving too fast and guess it caught up to him. His route home from work includes a road that has wetlands on either side of it. Driving along, he saw a car in front of him go thru this big puddle. In he barges (no pun intended) only to have the car conk out in the middle of it. He knew he was in trouble when water starting coming in over the car door's threashold! He gets out and the water is over his knees. The car in front of him must have had some serious clearance!!

The car is towed to our mechanic (who is really good). Couple of days later, my boyfriend goes to pick up the car. After pulling all the spark plugs, air filter, etc., the mechanic did manage to get it started. I know Toyot's have had their problems lately but this one is a 1994 with 300,000 plus miles on it, rarely maintained by said idiot son and, and despite being flooded, it's still got life in it! The mechanic says to my boyfriend, "watch this!" He turns on the car and water comes shooting out both exhausts!!! Go Toyota!

Seanette 04-02-2010 07:35 AM

Hope the kid learned not to drive through deep water again!

Pretty kitty in your picture, BTW.

amma 04-02-2010 07:56 AM

I am so sorry for all who are in the flood situations, been there and did that too.... (((HUGS)))

QBeth 04-02-2010 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Seanette
Hope the kid learned not to drive through deep water again!

Pretty kitty in your picture, BTW.

I certainly hope he learned a lesson but one never knows.

Thanks. Rudy is a love.

Boston1954 04-02-2010 08:28 AM

I just got an email from a friend back home saying that our church basement was flooded. (Rehoboth, Massachusetts) Also my sister told me that her son could not get to work for several days.