Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   New laptop. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/new-laptop-t250118.html)

patricej 07-15-2014 12:04 AM

I had to set up a brand new computer for my 88 year old father, back in May.
guess how much interest or patience he has for all that new gobbledygook!
(less than i do, and i have none! LOL)

i dug around on the net and at the windows site 'til i found the instructions for getting rid of all the tiles "we" didn't want (which is nearly all of them. LOL)
i created a new group of tiles to the far left that has only the ones "we" will use.
if he accidentally finds himself in the tile view, and can't remember how to get back to the traditional desktop, he at least has what he needs to function.

i did figure out that if i ever have no choice but to work in win 8.1 i will be able to adapt.
fingers crossed in hope i never have to. LOL

Onebyone 07-15-2014 05:19 AM

I use Carbonite so all my files on my other computer, including photos, were downloaded to my new computer automatically. They remain on the other one too. It takes awhile, but just click and forget it is running. All I have to do is install my paid programs. I uninstalled all the apps, now the laptop seems like what I'm used to. I'm going to buy a Google laptop. That is just for online and email and use the regular laptop for my sewing programs saved pattern files. Laptops are cheap now with the back to school sales.

Bren 07-15-2014 06:50 AM

We bought one last year and are still learning. DH and I get frustrated, but figure it's good brain-training!

roguequilter 07-15-2014 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 (Post 6801208)
I am just too old to learn a new operating system. I am sticking with XP as long as the life raft still floats !! :)

i made that eact same descision. now to convince hubs & his mother that i am right, their angst is wrong :D

IshtarsMom 07-15-2014 09:05 AM

I hope my laptop lasts forever...I too am too old to start that learning curve...good luck

CurliQ 07-15-2014 10:16 AM

As the new platforms come out, the old ones will phase away. I know of several programs that will not work with XP anymore (most of my work programs don't). As has been mentioned, if you look on the web there are lots of places to find help on the new platforms. I am by far no computer guru, but I fixed my mom's computer simply with the help of the web.

Prism99 07-15-2014 10:22 AM

I think it's a mistake to cling too long to old technology. Told my dh that I want to be a "hip" older person able to relate to the younger generation. It's hard to change with changes in technology, but in my opinion it's even harder to stay with old technology too long. It's even harder to catch up!

MonkeeGirl 07-15-2014 05:31 PM

Google windows 8 tutorials.....they are really quite good

madamekelly 07-15-2014 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 6800537)
I bought a new laptop yesterday and it has Windows 8.1. It sure is a big learning curve! Seems to me it is too cluttered before I even put my programs on it. I have a Mac so know the difference, prefer Windows.

You have my deepest sympathy. I am also a Mac user and when my daughter put me on her family plan, she got me a windows 8 phone. I really tried to get used to it, and learn how to make it mine, but after three weeks, I took it back and traded for and iPhone 5c. They said it was easy to learn, but it was not easy for me. I hope you have much better luck than I did. The cell company told me they have got most of them returned. I am not surprised at all. I now have iMac, iPad, iPod, and now iPhone. I hope apple doesn't make and more gadgets, I can't afford anymore. Lol!

solstice3 07-16-2014 03:07 AM

I really dislike windows 8. Not sure how much different 8.1 is. Never had a prober with any other windows platforms but this one