Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   New Malware Warning (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/new-malware-warning-t257932.html)

Kathy T. 12-08-2014 10:07 AM

New Malware Warning

There is a creepy piece of malware out there that is saying someone has sent you a Google Docs file. If you open it, and get all of the way through, the file is a notice of the upcoming Craftsy BOM for 2015. DO NOT OPEN THIS EMAIL. Apparently, there is malware attached that replicates the email and sends it to your entire address book. I got this email from a fellow member of my Quilts of Valor Group, and it copied itself rapidly. I used Malwarebytes.com (free) to remove it from my computer and changed my passwords. My Norton and McAfee did not catch it. This one is nasty to get rid of. Be careful!

Jingle 12-08-2014 01:46 PM

Thanks for the heads up.

mermaid 12-08-2014 04:49 PM

Hmmm....I used my brain and did not click on "here" in today's mail. Said I had ordered from online Walmart, and I should look at the order. I have NOT! ordered from Walmart on line. How many more scams are out there? They rely on us being gullible and curious--I'm not falling for it. Never open an attachment if you don't know the sender for sure. I right clicked and then clicked on 'properties' at the bottom of the box. You never saw such a return address (of course, you cannot return/reply---it does not exist!

JoantheQuilter 12-09-2014 05:54 AM

Scams

Originally Posted by mermaid (Post 7000498)
Hmmm....I used my brain and did not click on "here" in today's mail. Said I had ordered from online Walmart, and I should look at the order. I have NOT! ordered from Walmart on line. How many more scams are out there? They rely on us being gullible and curious--I'm not falling for it. Never open an attachment if you don't know the sender for sure. I right clicked and then clicked on 'properties' at the bottom of the box. You never saw such a return address (of course, you cannot return/reply---it does not exist!

I had the same email only the one I received was supposed to be from Costco. I have never ordered from Costco. We have to be so careful, especially during the Holiday season. I had made a large order from Amazon and I thought maybe they had purchased some items from Costco and did get part way through when my security kicked in and said this was not a certified site, so I quickly deleted everything.

Sewnoma 12-09-2014 08:41 AM

And another one - watch out for "confirmation files" sent to you. It's a MS Word or Excel doc that asks you to enable macros when you open it. The macro installs a virus or spyware. That one got through our WORK filters, it's that sneaky!!

crafty pat 12-09-2014 09:25 AM

Thank you so much for letting us know to watch for this. I think it was on my list of Emails but I always open my quilting board first thank goodness.

joyce blint 12-09-2014 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by JoantheQuilter (Post 7001130)
I had the same email only the one I received was supposed to be from Costco. I have never ordered from Costco. We have to be so careful, especially during the Holiday season. I had made a large order from Amazon and I thought maybe they had purchased some items from Costco and did get part way through when my security kicked in and said this was not a certified site, so I quickly deleted everything.

I also rec'd the Costco one......foolishly tho't son may have ordered something.....messed up the whole computer. Had to call for tech help to remove it.

mermaid 12-10-2014 05:20 AM

Yeah, I got the Costco one also, but have never been near a Costco store--none around here! What joy do people get out of sending viruses/malwares to email addresses that are totally unknown to them. I read some yrs back that the senders got half a cent for each spam they sent--but those were promoting a product or service. I've had Walmart, Costco, many ''airline etickets with 5 or more bags already pd for", (seems like I'm traveling everywhere! and going nowhere)...and if they all only want to plant a bug in my computer, what is the reasoning?? Is it just the half cent? And who is responsible for paying the half cent. Of course, it may be less now---or more. So very frustrating to have that stuff permanently on your hard drive.

milikaa1 12-10-2014 07:59 PM

I got a strange email yesterday on our business acct, I was not tempted to open it and glad I did not after seeing this, I was suspicious when I saw it.

Mariposa 12-10-2014 08:03 PM

Thanks for the heads up on this!