Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: New Malware Warning

New Malware Warning

There is a creepy piece of malware out there that is saying someone has sent you a Google Docs file. If you open it, and get all of the way through, the file is a notice of the upcoming Craftsy BOM for 2015. DO NOT OPEN THIS EMAIL. Apparently, there is malware attached that replicates the email and sends it to your entire address book. I got this email from a fellow member of my Quilts of Valor Group, and it copied itself rapidly. I used Malwarebytes.com (free) to remove it from my computer and changed my passwords. My Norton and McAfee did not catch it. This one is nasty to get rid of. Be careful!

Thanks for the heads up.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Hmmm....I used my brain and did not click on "here" in today's mail. Said I had ordered from online Walmart, and I should look at the order. I have NOT! ordered from Walmart on line. How many more scams are out there? They rely on us being gullible and curious--I'm not falling for it. Never open an attachment if you don't know the sender for sure. I right clicked and then clicked on 'properties' at the bottom of the box. You never saw such a return address (of course, you cannot return/reply---it does not exist!

Scams

Quote Originally Posted by mermaid View Post
    Hmmm....I used my brain and did not click on "here" in today's mail. Said I had ordered from online Walmart, and I should look at the order. I have NOT! ordered from Walmart on line. How many more scams are out there? They rely on us being gullible and curious--I'm not falling for it. Never open an attachment if you don't know the sender for sure. I right clicked and then clicked on 'properties' at the bottom of the box. You never saw such a return address (of course, you cannot return/reply---it does not exist!
    I had the same email only the one I received was supposed to be from Costco. I have never ordered from Costco. We have to be so careful, especially during the Holiday season. I had made a large order from Amazon and I thought maybe they had purchased some items from Costco and did get part way through when my security kicked in and said this was not a certified site, so I quickly deleted everything.

And another one - watch out for "confirmation files" sent to you. It's a MS Word or Excel doc that asks you to enable macros when you open it. The macro installs a virus or spyware. That one got through our WORK filters, it's that sneaky!!

Thank you so much for letting us know to watch for this. I think it was on my list of Emails but I always open my quilting board first thank goodness.

Quote Originally Posted by JoantheQuilter View Post
    I had the same email only the one I received was supposed to be from Costco. I have never ordered from Costco. We have to be so careful, especially during the Holiday season. I had made a large order from Amazon and I thought maybe they had purchased some items from Costco and did get part way through when my security kicked in and said this was not a certified site, so I quickly deleted everything.
    I also rec'd the Costco one......foolishly tho't son may have ordered something.....messed up the whole computer. Had to call for tech help to remove it.

Yeah, I got the Costco one also, but have never been near a Costco store--none around here! What joy do people get out of sending viruses/malwares to email addresses that are totally unknown to them. I read some yrs back that the senders got half a cent for each spam they sent--but those were promoting a product or service. I've had Walmart, Costco, many ''airline etickets with 5 or more bags already pd for", (seems like I'm traveling everywhere! and going nowhere)...and if they all only want to plant a bug in my computer, what is the reasoning?? Is it just the half cent? And who is responsible for paying the half cent. Of course, it may be less now---or more. So very frustrating to have that stuff permanently on your hard drive.

I got a strange email yesterday on our business acct, I was not tempted to open it and glad I did not after seeing this, I was suspicious when I saw it.

Thanks for the heads up on this!
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

The head up is much appreciated! Thank-you.

Power Poster
    Thanks for the warning...

Thanks for this post. I do try to keep a low profile on the web but you never know where they will track you down. I just sent your post of all my close friends. THANKS AGAIN !!
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the warning! Saw it an deleted it.