Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   new to me phone scam (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/new-me-phone-scam-t307790.html)

juliasb 11-03-2019 05:27 AM

I have come to the point that I screen all calls if I do not recognize the phone number. If someone really wants me they will leave a message and I can call them back.

SusieQOH 11-03-2019 05:47 AM

What is it with the robocalls lately? They drive me nuts. They seem to come in waves but my phone often says Telemarketer or Spam call. Many others are from my area code though.
I could drink coffee all day long but I get too wired so I limit myself to 2 cups in the morning.

shasta5718 11-03-2019 06:46 AM

The best thing to do is actually call your company yourself and ask if they tried to contact you. If not it saves you and alerts them that a scammer is using them. Do not call the number they give you or go to a link if it's on the internet, use the one you have yourself or that is in the phone book.

RuthiesRetreat3 11-03-2019 10:40 AM

Dunster, hope the fires are not getting close to you at Elsinore. I lived many years in Sun City and I'm still worried about neighbors there. Prayers for California.

willferg 11-03-2019 10:58 AM

I don't like but don't mind the calls I can ignore, but I've been getting tons of voicemails left on my cell phone for health insurance. The message ends with "have a blessed day," which doesn't seem like something a health insurance company would say in an advertising call...

dunster 11-03-2019 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by RuthiesRetreat3 (Post 8322381)
Dunster, hope the fires are not getting close to you at Elsinore. I lived many years in Sun City and I'm still worried about neighbors there. Prayers for California.

Thanks for your concern. So far the fires have not affected me, other than occasionally a bit of a smoky smell and a haze over the valley. Last year one of the major fires was much closer, not close enough to endanger my home, but close enough that the employees at the Costco gas station where I shop were wearing masks, ash was falling all around, and we could see the flames just across the freeway. The fires are indeed scary, especially when they start up during the night and people awaken to find that they are in danger.

nativetexan 11-03-2019 01:18 PM

a friend in England just had the same thing happen. and my computer just talked to me, that makes me so mad. "something wrong with the mike, i can't hear you". it isn't supposed to hear me!! sometimes i do hate electronics!

mojo11 11-04-2019 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by lberna (Post 8321872)
I don’t answer any phone calls from people not in my contact list. If it is important, they can leave a voicemail.

This is what I do also.

Jordan 11-04-2019 10:09 AM

Thank you so much for letting us know. I get robo calls all the time and I usually don't even answer. Good for you in not calling that number.

QuiltnLady1 11-04-2019 03:26 PM

Thanks for the heads up. We get a lot of calls from "Verizon" saying our phone service had been discontinued and he had to send gift cards. I normally don't answer numbers unless they are in my address book but we are waiting for a call to schedule DH hip replacement surgery and they never use the same number twice so I am answering way too many scam calls these days.