Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   New Paypal requirement? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/new-paypal-requirement-t195241.html)

vhord620 07-20-2012 04:09 PM

New Paypal requirement?

I've recently been asked for my Social Security # from paypal. I'm sure most of you shop online and use paypal. I can no longer transfer money from my bank acct to my paypal acct. Now....if I have to use a credit card I may as well use the credit card in the first place. My bank has my SS#, and all other info to prove who I am. I'm not asking Paypal to loan me money....they make money by charging the retailer to use the service, a convienience to us both. They do try to get me to apply for one of thier credit cards, another way to make money off me. I use a Debit card issued from my bank, acts just like a credit card online, there is no cost to me to use it, it comes directly out of my bank account, if I dont have funds I shouldn't be shopping...I WILL NOT GIVE THEM MY SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER!!!

Have any of you encountered the same thing, and how do you feel about it?

A frequent online shopper, Viv

snow 07-20-2012 04:17 PM

You need to call paypal i heard there is a fake paypal website do not give then your ss# report it.

QKO 07-20-2012 05:22 PM

If you use paypal as a seller, you've been being notified for over a year now that new government regulations require paypal to report to the IRS sales in excess of 20,000 dollars and 200 transactions per year. They need to have your SSN or tax number to report this to the IRS on form 1099-K. Since they don't know until after the fact whether you'll meet those thresholds, they require the SSN from anyone receiving money through paypal.

Here is the paypal information that explains it. This is not a hoax, this is the law. If you don't give them your SSN, they won't/can't allow you to use paypal to do business.

https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/ma...ng_us/IRS6050W

marybrace 07-20-2012 07:42 PM

I use Paypal to shop on line...received a notice from a paypal address asking for some bank info. or my account would be limited. I wasn't comfortable with sending the information asked for in the attachment so called Paypal. They were terrific. Said my account was fine and that they never send emails like that....asked that I send the email I received and I could not forward it as it had some kind of stopper on it. Just beware....

Annya 07-21-2012 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by marybrace (Post 5381313)
I use Paypal to shop on line...received a notice from a paypal address asking for some bank info. or my account would be limited. I wasn't comfortable with sending the information asked for in the attachment so called Paypal. They were terrific. Said my account was fine and that they never send emails like that....asked that I send the email I received and I could not forward it as it had some kind of stopper on it. Just beware....

I agree it is a hoax. under no circumstances would they ask for you pension number. It has nothing to do with them. I have been different hoax things either letters or emails. the letters I burn the emails I now bounce back and block them. Check it out you see that we are right.

ckcowl 07-21-2012 03:02 AM

when ever you receive a message from paypal requesting anything you should not respond to the email- you should contact them directly- then you know you are dealing with them & not some hacker-
as QKO mentioned above the government has (forced) some new rules- not paypal's choice- but when the government decides things have to change it's hard to fight it.
but don't give your ss# to an email message- contact paypal and find out if they need information from you- and realize- it is not that they want to deal with more paper work- the irs wants to make sure they get their share...

ptquilts 07-21-2012 03:04 AM

If they really need something from you, when you log in to your paypal account, there will be a message there in the upper right. I would not act on any emails.

vhord620 07-21-2012 07:12 AM

It is not an email I receive. It's when I log in to my acct. I can use Paypal, just not add money to my account. I am not a seller, I am a retail customer. I buy most of my fabric, tools, etc online as I live in a small town. I keep getting emails asking me to resolve the problem. I have called and talked to a rep and he explained WHY they need that info and I told him I was not asking for a loan and they didnt need my SS#, but he said it was government required....well not from me, I WONT!

Dolphyngyrl 07-21-2012 09:05 AM

I used paypal yesterday to buy, didn't need an SS, just to buy, but I do not sell so not sure if that makes a difference

Prism99 07-21-2012 09:40 AM

I'd call PayPal again. Sometimes it helps if you speak to a different person. When you say they explained WHY they need that info, what was the reason?