Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 45

Thread: New Paypal requirement?

  1. #1
    Member vhord620's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Grove, OK
    Posts
    70

    New Paypal requirement?

    I've recently been asked for my Social Security # from paypal. I'm sure most of you shop online and use paypal. I can no longer transfer money from my bank acct to my paypal acct. Now....if I have to use a credit card I may as well use the credit card in the first place. My bank has my SS#, and all other info to prove who I am. I'm not asking Paypal to loan me money....they make money by charging the retailer to use the service, a convienience to us both. They do try to get me to apply for one of thier credit cards, another way to make money off me. I use a Debit card issued from my bank, acts just like a credit card online, there is no cost to me to use it, it comes directly out of my bank account, if I dont have funds I shouldn't be shopping...I WILL NOT GIVE THEM MY SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER!!!

    Have any of you encountered the same thing, and how do you feel about it?

    A frequent online shopper, Viv

  2. #2
    Senior Member snow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    539
    You need to call paypal i heard there is a fake paypal website do not give then your ss# report it.
    Bring Your Conscious awareness to the source of loving and Caring

  3. #3
    QKO
    QKO is offline
    Super Member QKO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Western Nevada
    Posts
    2,528
    If you use paypal as a seller, you've been being notified for over a year now that new government regulations require paypal to report to the IRS sales in excess of 20,000 dollars and 200 transactions per year. They need to have your SSN or tax number to report this to the IRS on form 1099-K. Since they don't know until after the fact whether you'll meet those thresholds, they require the SSN from anyone receiving money through paypal.

    Here is the paypal information that explains it. This is not a hoax, this is the law. If you don't give them your SSN, they won't/can't allow you to use paypal to do business.

    https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/ma...ng_us/IRS6050W
    Last edited by QKO; 07-20-2012 at 05:25 PM.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    542
    Blog Entries
    1
    I use Paypal to shop on line...received a notice from a paypal address asking for some bank info. or my account would be limited. I wasn't comfortable with sending the information asked for in the attachment so called Paypal. They were terrific. Said my account was fine and that they never send emails like that....asked that I send the email I received and I could not forward it as it had some kind of stopper on it. Just beware....

  5. #5
    Super Member Annya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Queensland Australia
    Posts
    1,387
    Quote Originally Posted by marybrace View Post
    I use Paypal to shop on line...received a notice from a paypal address asking for some bank info. or my account would be limited. I wasn't comfortable with sending the information asked for in the attachment so called Paypal. They were terrific. Said my account was fine and that they never send emails like that....asked that I send the email I received and I could not forward it as it had some kind of stopper on it. Just beware....
    I agree it is a hoax. under no circumstances would they ask for you pension number. It has nothing to do with them. I have been different hoax things either letters or emails. the letters I burn the emails I now bounce back and block them. Check it out you see that we are right.

  6. #6
    Power Poster ckcowl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    Posts
    11,173
    Blog Entries
    1
    when ever you receive a message from paypal requesting anything you should not respond to the email- you should contact them directly- then you know you are dealing with them & not some hacker-
    as QKO mentioned above the government has (forced) some new rules- not paypal's choice- but when the government decides things have to change it's hard to fight it.
    but don't give your ss# to an email message- contact paypal and find out if they need information from you- and realize- it is not that they want to deal with more paper work- the irs wants to make sure they get their share...
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

  7. #7
    Super Member ptquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    5,895
    If they really need something from you, when you log in to your paypal account, there will be a message there in the upper right. I would not act on any emails.

  8. #8
    Member vhord620's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Grove, OK
    Posts
    70
    It is not an email I receive. It's when I log in to my acct. I can use Paypal, just not add money to my account. I am not a seller, I am a retail customer. I buy most of my fabric, tools, etc online as I live in a small town. I keep getting emails asking me to resolve the problem. I have called and talked to a rep and he explained WHY they need that info and I told him I was not asking for a loan and they didnt need my SS#, but he said it was government required....well not from me, I WONT!

  9. #9
    Super Member Dolphyngyrl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    5,690
    I used paypal yesterday to buy, didn't need an SS, just to buy, but I do not sell so not sure if that makes a difference

  10. #10
    Power Poster Prism99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Western Wisconsin
    Posts
    11,891
    Blog Entries
    1
    I'd call PayPal again. Sometimes it helps if you speak to a different person. When you say they explained WHY they need that info, what was the reason?

  11. #11
    Power Poster nativetexan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    home again, after 27 yrs!
    Posts
    15,696
    Blog Entries
    2
    I won't use my Kohl's dept store card because they now ask for your SS # to look it up. Haven't used it in years and it looks like I won't be using it anytime soon. Everyone wants your number but have no right to it. I emailed the Whitehouse about this but never heard a thing back. everyone should email there.

  12. #12
    Super Member Sheila_H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    1,058
    Any bank or financial company always tells everyone they never ask you to verify your password or any other information that is personal in nature, it's always a good idea if you get an email like that to double check on the phone with them if your unsure.
    Even if Paypal wants your SSN for IRS purposes I would still get a live person on the other end of the phone and do it that way, I'd never send that kind of information over the net you never know if it's the right site or not.

  13. #13
    Member vhord620's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Grove, OK
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
    I'd call PayPal again. Sometimes it helps if you speak to a different person. When you say they explained WHY they need that info, what was the reason?
    He told me that the govt. was requiring them to get that info. I still contend that I'm not a seller and they dont need that info. I didnt have a problem until my paypal balance got low and I tried to add money to my acct from the bank acct I had stored with them....I opened a special acct at the bank just for paypal...kept only small amt in that acct to transfer to paypal after I got scammed for $800 last year. paypal did reimburse $600 of my money in just a few days, but over 30 days for the original $200 charge....at that time I removed my credit card # from paypal and opened up a new acct for that and never kept over a few hundred dollars....sure didnt want anyone hacking into my main bank acct.

  14. #14
    Super Member mermaid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Tennessee, UC area
    Posts
    1,068
    Guess I'm dense--don't understand why you are transferring into your paypal acct if you are using your debit card and paypal has your bank acct info. I let paypal do a direct transfer from my bank acct to pay when I buy something, and they have my cc info, as I understand it, so I can choose the way I want to pay---also as it was explained to me...''in event my bank balance doesn't cover the purchase". I have heard also that they have been ordered by the IRS to collect SSN's from people who sell, so their sales can be reported for tax collection. I do not sell, so it is of no concern to me. But you know you cannot fight "city hall". Sounds to me like the folks might have you confused with another customer. ?? But stay safe & communicate only with the valid Paypal.

  15. #15
    Super Member mermaid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Tennessee, UC area
    Posts
    1,068
    aha..I've had an epiphany re the problem with your paypal acct. I think it might be because you are transferring money from your bank acct into the Paypal acct, and maybe it looks like you are receiving from somewhere else (as a seller would) and therefore the gov't would have reason to require your SSN. Just do as I and let Paypal do an electronic funds transfer (EFT) directly from your bank acct..ie. the special acct you set up with your bank.....instead of transferring cash to your paypal acct. Makes sense????

  16. #16
    Member vhord620's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Grove, OK
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by mermaid View Post
    aha..I've had an epiphany re the problem with your paypal acct. I think it might be because you are transferring money from your bank acct into the Paypal acct, and maybe it looks like you are receiving from somewhere else (as a seller would) and therefore the gov't would have reason to require your SSN. Just do as I and let Paypal do an electronic funds transfer (EFT) directly from your bank acct..ie. the special acct you set up with your bank.....instead of transferring cash to your paypal acct. Makes sense????
    Duh....never thought to do that, I just thought I had to keep money in my paypal acct, and when it got low I'd transfer more funds from the bank to paypal....maybe they did think I was a seller, but all they had to do was look at my transactions....whew! makes me feel better. But now I regret even giving them my bank acct number, but it's also dangerous using a credit card to make purchases, just have to be very cautious I guess. I sure hate to think I'd have to give up online shopping...LOL

  17. #17
    Senior Member Linda58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    South Texas
    Posts
    664
    I have had the same issue's with PayPal that you have. I have had PP for many many years and so have my children and friends. Not one of them have been asked for their SS#. I get asked when I sign in to my account. I will not give them my SS#. If that means I close my acct. then I will. I only buy and give donations on PP, so they do not need my SS#.




    Quote Originally Posted by vhord620 View Post
    I've recently been asked for my Social Security # from paypal. I'm sure most of you shop online and use paypal. I can no longer transfer money from my bank acct to my paypal acct. Now....if I have to use a credit card I may as well use the credit card in the first place. My bank has my SS#, and all other info to prove who I am. I'm not asking Paypal to loan me money....they make money by charging the retailer to use the service, a convienience to us both. They do try to get me to apply for one of thier credit cards, another way to make money off me. I use a Debit card issued from my bank, acts just like a credit card online, there is no cost to me to use it, it comes directly out of my bank account, if I dont have funds I shouldn't be shopping...I WILL NOT GIVE THEM MY SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER!!!

    Have any of you encountered the same thing, and how do you feel about it?

    A frequent online shopper, Viv
    Linda58


    "A human being has a natural desire to have more of a good thing than he needs." --Mark Twain

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    82
    There is a scam going on pretending to be PayPal, but it's not. Do not give any info. Just delete message. The same thing happened to me. Although I did report it to PayPal. ~~Ann~~

  19. #19
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    East Tennessee
    Posts
    211
    I only use my credit card when buying things, especially online. It is much easier to dispute if there is a problem and someone can't clear out my bank account. I don't use my debit card any more except at the ATM. I write the charged amount in my check register as I spend so that I can pay the full balance every month. Balancing my account is a little more difficult, but not bad. I just got a notification that I have reached my 12 year anniversary with ebay, and I think I set up my paypal account at the same time. I have never had a problem that was not easily remedied.

  20. #20
    Super Member Latrinka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Posts
    7,165
    I only use paypal to buy, never sold with it, so I'm good!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

  21. #21
    Super Member ptquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    5,895
    Quote Originally Posted by mermaid View Post
    aha..I've had an epiphany re the problem with your paypal acct. I think it might be because you are transferring money from your bank acct into the Paypal acct, and maybe it looks like you are receiving from somewhere else (as a seller would) and therefore the gov't would have reason to require your SSN. Just do as I and let Paypal do an electronic funds transfer (EFT) directly from your bank acct..ie. the special acct you set up with your bank.....instead of transferring cash to your paypal acct. Makes sense????
    You can do that but there is a delay in the seller getting the money. It is an E-check and takes days to clear.

  22. #22
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    4,974
    Blog Entries
    1
    I haven't heard of this. You may have a scam going on. If you got an email don't use that link to go to paypal; close your browser and reopen it and go to paypal on your own. When you log onto Paypal there is a message section that will let you know if they need anything from you. There are so many scams out there and paypal has alot of them. I get emails from them all the time telling me I need to update my account and to click on the link; some even tell me that if I don't they'll cancel my account. I've never done it and my account is still good. I got them too right after Wells Fargo went large and I haven't had an account with them in over 5yrs so I knew it didn't come from them..
    Judy

  23. #23
    Super Member May in Jersey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    2,549
    Quote Originally Posted by marybrace View Post
    I use Paypal to shop on line...received a notice from a paypal address asking for some bank info. or my account would be limited. I wasn't comfortable with sending the information asked for in the attachment so called Paypal. They were terrific. Said my account was fine and that they never send emails like that....asked that I send the email I received and I could not forward it as it had some kind of stopper on it. Just beware....
    This happened to DH awhile ago and the outcome was that PayPal closed his account and wouldn't let him open a new one because they had a problem with DH. Something like Catch 22.

  24. #24
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    3,611
    Blog Entries
    163
    I hve never had problems with paypal, but i would contact them and get a human voice
    Mary

  25. #25
    Super Member mermaid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Tennessee, UC area
    Posts
    1,068
    lINDA58--..if you are making donations, and plan to (or do) claim your donations on your tax return, then you WOULD need to give your SSN# for the claims to be validated. Personally, tho I have donated via Paypal in the past, I prefer to give to my own local charities...then I know where my money goes. So that may be the reason you are being asked for your #. I only purchase on line, and allow Paypal to draft my bank acct for the amt., and I've never had them ask for my #. I admit it is a bit of a hassle to get your paypal acct set up, but worth the trouble IMHO..I Love the option, and totally trust them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.