New Paypal requirement?

Old 07-22-2012, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by mermaid View Post
aha..I've had an epiphany re the problem with your paypal acct. I think it might be because you are transferring money from your bank acct into the Paypal acct, and maybe it looks like you are receiving from somewhere else (as a seller would) and therefore the gov't would have reason to require your SSN. Just do as I and let Paypal do an electronic funds transfer (EFT) directly from your bank acct..ie. the special acct you set up with your bank.....instead of transferring cash to your paypal acct. Makes sense????
You can do that but there is a delay in the seller getting the money. It is an E-check and takes days to clear.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:32 AM

I haven't heard of this. You may have a scam going on. If you got an email don't use that link to go to paypal; close your browser and reopen it and go to paypal on your own. When you log onto Paypal there is a message section that will let you know if they need anything from you. There are so many scams out there and paypal has alot of them. I get emails from them all the time telling me I need to update my account and to click on the link; some even tell me that if I don't they'll cancel my account. I've never done it and my account is still good. I got them too right after Wells Fargo went large and I haven't had an account with them in over 5yrs so I knew it didn't come from them..
Old 07-22-2012, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by marybrace View Post
I use Paypal to shop on line...received a notice from a paypal address asking for some bank info. or my account would be limited. I wasn't comfortable with sending the information asked for in the attachment so called Paypal. They were terrific. Said my account was fine and that they never send emails like that....asked that I send the email I received and I could not forward it as it had some kind of stopper on it. Just beware....
This happened to DH awhile ago and the outcome was that PayPal closed his account and wouldn't let him open a new one because they had a problem with DH. Something like Catch 22.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:46 AM

I hve never had problems with paypal, but i would contact them and get a human voice
Old 07-22-2012, 07:51 AM

lINDA58--..if you are making donations, and plan to (or do) claim your donations on your tax return, then you WOULD need to give your SSN# for the claims to be validated. Personally, tho I have donated via Paypal in the past, I prefer to give to my own local charities...then I know where my money goes. So that may be the reason you are being asked for your #. I only purchase on line, and allow Paypal to draft my bank acct for the amt., and I've never had them ask for my #. I admit it is a bit of a hassle to get your paypal acct set up, but worth the trouble IMHO..I Love the option, and totally trust them.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
You can do that but there is a delay in the seller getting the money. It is an E-check and takes days to clear.
Might depend on what kind of acct the seller has with Paypal..I assumed their money would be transferred to their PP acct...I buy, go to my bank acct on line and already the memo posting is showing. My feedback from sellers is excellent--they say "pays immediately". Once I ordered from ebay..never got notice from the seller and after several days I ck'd my acct at Paypal to see if he had accessed payment. He never had. I sent him email & got no answer, so I canceled the transaction. Still don't know what happened!
Old 07-22-2012, 08:40 AM

I refuse to give anyone my bank account info. PayPal has a "rule" "condition". If you spend a total of $5,000, you cannot use your credit card anymore... unless you give them your bank account number. That is $5,000 lifetime total transactions..I met that total a few years ago after using PP for 5 years....they immediately notified me that I COULD NO LONGER USE PAYPAL WITHOUT GIVING THEM MY BANK ACCOUNT INFO. I thought it was a hoax...called them...sure enough, it is their policy. I have not used Paypal since....of course, I couldn't anyway. They did say, I can continue to use my charge card, but they still needed my bank account number. All these folks are getting way too intrusive. Bad enough that the new healthcare law allows the government, and doctor's office access to all of your banking information including balances, savings, iras, all accounts!
D in TX

Last edited by Lady Diana; 07-22-2012 at 08:46 AM.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:01 AM

why don't you us a reload card . Just put money on and us that.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:25 AM

I guess I will never use paypal!!
Old 07-22-2012, 10:33 AM
QKO

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
There are two different methods, depending on how your paypal buying account is set up and funded.

An E-check is different than an instant transfer.Set up your paypal account with a linked bank account, as she apparently has, and every time you don't have funds in your paypal account to cover the purchase, paypal will tap your bank account for the purchase. With just a linked bank account, e-check is the option that will be used, and it will take 3-5 days for the payment to clear.

If you set up a second funding source, such as a credit or debit card, in addition to your bank account, you are able to use Paypal instant transfer to make your purchases. This is way better because as a seller, you don't have to wait for the money, and as a buyer, you are able to make multiple purchases. Some sellers, like ebay, limit your e-check purchases to one at a time, until the e-check clears.

So, to have maximum purchasing ability with the best protection and ease of use, you should set up your paypal buying account with two funding sources. You can use the bank account, and a debit card on the same bank account as your second source. Don't transfer any money from your bank account to your paypal account. When you buy, paypal will automatically tap your bank account for the money, an instant transfer will occur, and everyone is happy.

And with this method, you don't need to give your SSN to paypal, unless you start selling and collecting money through paypal. If you have a separate bank account for just online purchases, always remember to keep double the money in the account that you'll need to cover the purchases you are making. If you want an explanation as to why you need to do this, just ask...

Last edited by QKO; 07-22-2012 at 10:38 AM.