Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   New Phone (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/new-phone-t142585.html)

Pam B 08-05-2011 04:21 PM

Reading some of these posts reminded me of my dad and step-mom. My dad is 82 and step-mom is in her late 70s. Neither one is tech-savvy....they have constant computer issues, can never remember how to work the remotes that change the satellite to dvd, etc. They have both had cell phones forever but neither ever texts or checks voice mail. Well...my dad told me the other day that they were up for their new Verizon phones and just what do you think the salesman sold them? Iphones!!! Yikes! My dad said they kept them 2 days and couldn't figure them out so they took them back! IMO it was a little irresponsible of the salesperson. Duh.

Stitchnripper 08-05-2011 04:30 PM

I love my iPhone. I don't do much game playing, not that many phone calls. I do text, and email when I am away from home. I can download books from the library free to listen to and to read. Maapquest has a free GPS app that talks to me, much like the regular GPS. There are free quilting apps. Free recipe apps. All from either sitting on my couch, while someone else is driving, waiting in line, etc. The screen is big enough for me. I'm retired, age 67. I don't think age has much to do with it. I get a lot of enjoyment from my iPhone. I'm glad there are many options so we can all get what we need, like, and enjoy!!!!

Ruby the Quilter 08-05-2011 06:27 PM

My dh and I laughed last night - wondering if I would be tested to see if I'm smarter than a phone before getting one. I'm staying with the dumb phone - don't text. My 10 year old granddaughter thinks it's really sad that I have a phone that doesn't do anything.

shrabar 08-05-2011 06:50 PM

Check out other companies & there plans try to get a family plan. There are a lot of free apps I have a lot of apps & I haven't paid for any of them one app I like is called around me. If you travel from city to city or state to state you can go to the app It will tell you where you can eat , the hospital, a list of things.

mzmama 08-05-2011 07:37 PM

I thought they got rid of new every two....maybe you should check????

jquilt214 08-06-2011 08:55 AM

I was reading an article recently where all the cell hone companys are going to phase out the unlimited plans. You will have to pay for the features you want. It is supposed to start in the near future.

Stitchnripper 08-06-2011 09:31 AM

Some have already stopped offering unlimited data plans but we were grandfathered into unlimited. Interestingly, we could probably get by with the lowest usage one, but, don't want to give up something that we may never get back.

sailsablazin 08-07-2011 09:17 PM

We will never get rid of our land line... We live in the woods and lose power often and the land line is the only phone that works here when there is no power. Also, in case you dial 911--the land line is the phone that the officials can trace to locate your position. Not use if they have the location finder on a cell phone.

toodie11 08-08-2011 08:36 PM

I love having a smart Phone Even though I am not always smart enough to use it, I used to keep a PDA in my purse to keep lists I now use my phone, for these and other things and only have to charge one device.- Quilt books that I have, Books I want to get, Presents that I have bought, Pictures of Alphabete Stamps(scrapbooking)that I have, List of Rulers, This way I do not buy the samethings twice and I know what I have already bought for gifts. Also always have my calendar available, Plus can take notes. There are many more features that I don't even know. So I have come to love this phone. Using Sprint on a family plan divided by 3 so t doesn't cost so much for each.

romanojg 08-09-2011 07:37 AM

Maybe you should check aroung and see what other companies are offering. I know that different states offer different things and the quality of service is affected but I'd at least check. I'm with Sprint and I have the unlimited everything for my Blackberry and it's only 69 a month. I use my phone more than my home phone. They also don't charge you if it's cell phone to cell phone; no matter what company it is. This was important for my daughter since most of her friends have cell phones her and her boyfriend share phones for about 140 a month; data included. Check your options; if you don't want to switch this could also give you a bargaining chip for your current com.