Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   New quilt hanger (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/new-quilt-hanger-t272619.html)

RugosaB 11-24-2015 05:54 AM

New quilt hanger

1 Attachment(s)
My husband is redoing our stairway (with my guidance!) and we are going to use wrought iron balusters. I always envisioned a quilt being hung on the 2 story high blank wall so he made a quilt hanger with a wrought iron rod.

We rarely throw things away we might use later, the wood is the original door to the closet in the original bathroom of our Craftsman style home that's been in storage for the last 25-30 years. I gave it sort of a distressed look that I think will compliment the fabric cupboard finish, which isn't done yet.

I asked my daughter a while ago about the wrought iron balusters and she said that I should probably use wrought iron in a few places to tie it all together. I already have the wrought iron look knobs for the cabinet doors.

It's hung, quilt still in progress. I'm trying my hand at a bargello quilt, and will make what looks to be a time consuming quilt from a pattern I bought while we were in Alaska for our 25th wedding anniversary to take its place when it's done.

toverly 11-24-2015 06:22 AM

Love the door it's hanging from also! I have a vaulted ceiling also and have a quilt hanging high. Be forewarned, you'll soon make quilts to hang on it. DS loves it when a quilt comes down from the "show" and he gets it.

ManiacQuilter2 11-24-2015 06:24 AM

It looks great, just be concerned about the amount of light coming from the window. Even indirect sunlight can fade some fabrics quite quickly.

Tartan 11-24-2015 06:53 AM

​Great repurpose hanger!

RugosaB 11-24-2015 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 (Post 7385508)
It looks great, just be concerned about the amount of light coming from the window. Even indirect sunlight can fade some fabrics quite quickly.

I was thinking about that, but no decisions yet on what's to be done about it

We're painting the walls of the whole downstairs that can be seen from these stairs. I picked a paint that goes with our floor tile, a tile chosen because it kind of blends with the dogs foot prints.(I actually took a clump of dirt with me to choose the tile) It's kind of a gray-tannish mottled blend color. To me the paint tools tan, to my husband it looks grayish, so success! It blends with the floor. (However in this photo, it looks gray to me)

Jeanne S 11-24-2015 06:38 PM

Fabulous hanger! It will be great to rotate some of your favorites on it!

Jan in VA 11-24-2015 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 (Post 7385508)

Particularly blues and reds! Looks great though. :)

ube quilting 11-25-2015 04:08 AM

Lovely shabby chic design. Great spot for spotlighting a beautiful quilt. Show us what you hang there!
peace

nwm50 11-25-2015 06:24 AM

Love it!! Although I'd probably paint mine a barn red fading color

lfstamper 11-25-2015 06:31 AM

Looks perfect!