Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: New quilt hanger

New quilt hanger

My husband is redoing our stairway (with my guidance!) and we are going to use wrought iron balusters. I always envisioned a quilt being hung on the 2 story high blank wall so he made a quilt hanger with a wrought iron rod.

We rarely throw things away we might use later, the wood is the original door to the closet in the original bathroom of our Craftsman style home that's been in storage for the last 25-30 years. I gave it sort of a distressed look that I think will compliment the fabric cupboard finish, which isn't done yet.

I asked my daughter a while ago about the wrought iron balusters and she said that I should probably use wrought iron in a few places to tie it all together. I already have the wrought iron look knobs for the cabinet doors.

It's hung, quilt still in progress. I'm trying my hand at a bargello quilt, and will make what looks to be a time consuming quilt from a pattern I bought while we were in Alaska for our 25th wedding anniversary to take its place when it's done.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    You know that feeling when you've finished all your quilting projects and your studio is perfectly clean???? Me neither.

It's not how fast you sew, it's how well you sew fast! Wait, I think that's supposed to be MOW!

Love the door it's hanging from also! I have a vaulted ceiling also and have a quilt hanging high. Be forewarned, you'll soon make quilts to hang on it. DS loves it when a quilt comes down from the "show" and he gets it.

It looks great, just be concerned about the amount of light coming from the window. Even indirect sunlight can fade some fabrics quite quickly.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Power Poster
    ​Great repurpose hanger!

Quote Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
    It looks great, just be concerned about the amount of light coming from the window. Even indirect sunlight can fade some fabrics quite quickly.
    I was thinking about that, but no decisions yet on what's to be done about it

We're painting the walls of the whole downstairs that can be seen from these stairs. I picked a paint that goes with our floor tile, a tile chosen because it kind of blends with the dogs foot prints.(I actually took a clump of dirt with me to choose the tile) It's kind of a gray-tannish mottled blend color. To me the paint tools tan, to my husband it looks grayish, so success! It blends with the floor. (However in this photo, it looks gray to me)
    You know that feeling when you've finished all your quilting projects and your studio is perfectly clean???? Me neither.

It's not how fast you sew, it's how well you sew fast! Wait, I think that's supposed to be MOW!

Fabulous hanger! It will be great to rotate some of your favorites on it!
    I just want to spend the rest of my life laughing.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Quote Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
    Particularly blues and reds! Looks great though.
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Blog Entries
    Lovely shabby chic design. Great spot for spotlighting a beautiful quilt. Show us what you hang there!
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Love it!! Although I'd probably paint mine a barn red fading color
    take plenty of pic of family & friends, keep tabs on loved ones but make time for yourself !

Looks perfect!
    Linda

Thank the Lord for husbands

Can't wait to see the quilt that hangs there. Re-purposing is such fun!

Love it! It is going to be awesome. I would like to see more pics when you get it done

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    Particularly blues and reds! Looks great though.
    They do make a type of window cling that give the interior protection from UV Rays that might be helpful without blocking the light into a darker corner...
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
    They do make a type of window cling that give the interior protection from UV Rays that might be helpful without blocking the light into a darker corner...
    I was thinking along those lines as well. I can't wait to see it with a quilt on it.

Blog Entries
    *** Super nice - love it.
    J J (jbj137)

I am a G.R.I.T.
    G = girl R =raised I = in T = the S = South

I like the idea and I'm excited to see you quilt display.

Quote Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
    I'm going to look into that, thanks!

Blog Entries
    Will be lovely. Looking forward to seeing the quilt you hang.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RugosaB View Post
    I was thinking about that, but no decisions yet on what's to be done about it

We're painting the walls of the whole downstairs that can be seen from these stairs. I picked a paint that goes with our floor tile, a tile chosen because it kind of blends with the dogs foot prints.(I actually took a clump of dirt with me to choose the tile) It's kind of a gray-tannish mottled blend color. To me the paint tools tan, to my husband it looks grayish, so success! It blends with the floor. (However in this photo, it looks gray to me)

You can get a film put on the window which will cut out 99% of the UV light which fades furniture, rugs, artwork etc. Home Depot sells and installs it.
    Valerie

That will be very dramatic! I love what you've done there.