Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   New Scam call spoofing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/new-scam-call-spoofing-t313762.html)

OneBusyGranny 01-07-2021 06:11 AM

Thanks for the tip, I'll give that a try. and another one - they I want to give you a device for your back aches ,recommended by my doctor. I tell them to tell me which of my 4 doctors recommenced it without discussing it with me Of coarse, their company does not allow them to give out that information. So I tell them I'm not allowed to accept it .They finally gave up on me!

IceLeopard 01-07-2021 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by OneBusyGranny (Post 8450512)
Thanks for the tip, I'll give that a try. and another one - they I want to give you a device for your back aches ,recommended by my doctor. I tell them to tell me which of my 4 doctors recommenced it without discussing it with me Of coarse, their company does not allow them to give out that information. So I tell them I'm not allowed to accept it .They finally gave up on me!

For me it was diabetes supplies. They said the same thing, that my medical records said I was diabetic. I am not. While I was buying insulin needles at the time, they were for my *cat.*

It was either a cold call, hoping to reach someone who really was diabetic, or the pharmacy chain I was dealing with sold my information. My money's on the latter.

Battle Axe 01-07-2021 06:25 AM

I have an android phone. It used to tell me how much reliability the call had in respect to scammers, but it doesn't do that anymore. Now I just let it ring if it just shows numbers. Even though it is a number in my county. Then I immediately call back. It if is telemarketer, then it will say outbound only. I know it is a telemarketer and I block them.

SusieQOH 01-07-2021 06:34 AM

Those annoying calls come to my cell in stages. I'll have none for awhile and then several a day. I always either decline if that's an option or just let it ring and then see if it was someone I know, which it never is. Sometimes my calls will say "spam risk" but not always.
We don't have a landline anymore.

lberna 01-10-2021 07:44 AM

For those who have smart phones, just don’t answer any phone calls from numbers not in your contact list. If it’s a legitimate call, he/she can leave a voicemail. The only exception I make is if I’m expecting an important call. I have an iPhone 8. I have toggled a switch in the Settings that will silence phone calls from numbers not in my contact list. The number is visible and a voicemail is available for the caller. Of the past approximately 100 silenced phone calls, only one was from a friend who was not in my contact list. She left a voicemail.

seazteddy 01-15-2021 10:19 PM

Nomorerobo free service cut down a lot.

goldsberry921 01-16-2021 02:06 PM

When I get a scam call, I usually answer in different languages. I answered one the other day in Telegu, they said "I don't speak Spanish, let me transfer you to the Spanish department." I do agree that if it is important, they will leave a voicemail.

MicheleC 01-18-2021 09:56 PM

I have the spoofing of local numbers calling my phone every few months. I ignore them because I live in Alaska and my cell phone number is from North Dakota. I have kept it because I have had it for so long. What was interesting to me when it started was that the spoofed numbers are cell phone numbers. I have even had someone call me saying they missed a call from me that I didn’t make. Sigh...

ptquilts 01-19-2021 05:10 AM

I notice they sometimes make the spoofed number look "somewhat" like my number. Like if my is 344-6445, they will make it 344-4556. What, am I supposed to think, that looks familiar, let me answer?

tranum 01-19-2021 05:51 AM

I can speak a basic Scandinavian language, thanks to Grandparents who grew up there & this is all scam callers get from me so they hang up, but generally I just don’t answer their calls. We got a $10 charge on our phone bill when my curious husband called a missed number back. He learned his lesson & lets it ring now.