Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   No more dog toys (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/no-more-dog-toys-t256482.html)

feffertim 11-08-2014 07:13 AM

No more dog toys

I'm not going to waste my money buying dog toys or chews anymore, I will just buy spools of thread, That seems to be my dogs choice of amusement.

misspriss 11-08-2014 07:22 AM

Well be careful. My cat thought the same the same thing and swallowed some thread. Not sure it wrapped around her intestine rushed to the vet. $$$$ and about a week later she passed it.

misspriss 11-08-2014 07:28 AM

Be watchful. My cat thought they were play things too (my fault for not keeping them up) and got the tread wrapped around her tounge and while taking it off saw a tread going down her throat. Rushed to the vet but couldn't pull it out because not sure it was not wrapped around her intestine, so, $$$ later, and about a week later did pass it.

cashs_mom 11-08-2014 08:01 AM

I still have one chewed up spool with some mangled thread on it hanging in my sewing room as a reminder of what a puppy in the sewing room can do.

Prism99 11-08-2014 11:07 AM

Yikes! Thread is extremely dangerous to animals!

sandy l 11-09-2014 04:08 AM

I am real careful about thread ends. My one cat thinks that the wastepaper basket is his toy, so whenever I'm in sewing I have to keep it up on the quilt frame out of his reach or he tips it over to rummage around it. He thinks fabric scraps are the best drag around toy ever.

sparkys_mom 11-09-2014 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 (Post 6960899)
Yikes! Thread is extremely dangerous to animals!

I am absolutely rabid about keeping thread and needles out of reach. I'm fortunate that my dog isn't prone to getting into things but both are extremely dangerous to animals. I was just telling a group of friends last week that I would never even have considered taking up quilting when I had my previous dog as he delighted in stealing things. Not only is it dangerous to your pet, it is dangerous to your wallet. Those vet bills mount up in a hurry and you still often times lose your pet.

petpainter 11-09-2014 05:56 AM

Years ago I was at my first owners class for my new then embroidery machine when I received a call at class. My
Great Dane had just chewed up 5 new spools of Emb thread! It was on the dining room table waiting for me to get home and do my first project. Everyone there got a laugh!

Barb in Louisiana 11-09-2014 06:13 AM

I am very fortunate that the two Miniature Schnauzers we have right now are not interested in anything that doesn't smell like food. I still, if I drop anything in the sewing room will reach down for it immediately, because we have had dogs in the past that would eat everything. And, the other thing, is that if I don't go after it quickly, I forget where it went. haha Is that the joy of aging gracefully, or just that we forget we are not?

Now, if I eat something in a plastic wrap and drop it in my sewing room trash can, it is open season on the can. They will dig out only the item they are interested in with the food smell and tear it up. After several times of cleaning up the trash, I am much better at remembering to take any thing with food residue and put it in the pull out trash in the kitchen.

feffertim 11-09-2014 07:41 AM

I was only joking about giving my dog thread spools to play with, I would never do that but she seems to be able to find a spool unless its under lock and key.