Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: No more dog toys

Blog Entries

No more dog toys

I'm not going to waste my money buying dog toys or chews anymore, I will just buy spools of thread, That seems to be my dogs choice of amusement.

Well be careful. My cat thought the same the same thing and swallowed some thread. Not sure it wrapped around her intestine rushed to the vet. $$$$ and about a week later she passed it.

Be watchful. My cat thought they were play things too (my fault for not keeping them up) and got the tread wrapped around her tounge and while taking it off saw a tread going down her throat. Rushed to the vet but couldn't pull it out because not sure it was not wrapped around her intestine, so, $$$ later, and about a week later did pass it.

I still have one chewed up spool with some mangled thread on it hanging in my sewing room as a reminder of what a puppy in the sewing room can do.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Blog Entries
    Yikes! Thread is extremely dangerous to animals!

Blog Entries
    I am real careful about thread ends. My one cat thinks that the wastepaper basket is his toy, so whenever I'm in sewing I have to keep it up on the quilt frame out of his reach or he tips it over to rummage around it. He thinks fabric scraps are the best drag around toy ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
    Yikes! Thread is extremely dangerous to animals!
    I am absolutely rabid about keeping thread and needles out of reach. I'm fortunate that my dog isn't prone to getting into things but both are extremely dangerous to animals. I was just telling a group of friends last week that I would never even have considered taking up quilting when I had my previous dog as he delighted in stealing things. Not only is it dangerous to your pet, it is dangerous to your wallet. Those vet bills mount up in a hurry and you still often times lose your pet.
    Pat

Years ago I was at my first owners class for my new then embroidery machine when I received a call at class. My
    Great Dane had just chewed up 5 new spools of Emb thread! It was on the dining room table waiting for me to get home and do my first project. Everyone there got a laugh!

I am very fortunate that the two Miniature Schnauzers we have right now are not interested in anything that doesn't smell like food. I still, if I drop anything in the sewing room will reach down for it immediately, because we have had dogs in the past that would eat everything. And, the other thing, is that if I don't go after it quickly, I forget where it went. haha Is that the joy of aging gracefully, or just that we forget we are not?

Now, if I eat something in a plastic wrap and drop it in my sewing room trash can, it is open season on the can. They will dig out only the item they are interested in with the food smell and tear it up. After several times of cleaning up the trash, I am much better at remembering to take any thing with food residue and put it in the pull out trash in the kitchen.
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

Blog Entries
    I was only joking about giving my dog thread spools to play with, I would never do that but she seems to be able to find a spool unless its under lock and key.

There was a cat who seemed to consider my sewing room a huge bowl of cat spaghetti. She was particularly fond of the odds and ends our kids would leave in there; uninflated balloons was the top of that list. I could keep track of cat-fascination places in my sewing room. The kids were sometimes too fast for me.

One day the youngest arrived in the kitchen announcing Nefer had eaten a balloon. Immediately to the vet and after he applied the veteranarian's medical equivalent of a finger tickling the back of her throat, Nefer gave up her prize. After that she confined herself to things she could "return, one way or another" without assistance.

The vet explained to me and the child audience I brought with Nefer and me why Nefer could wind up dead because of an escapade like this one. It made an impression. He also explained and showed them the hooks on her tongue that caught things in her mouth and dragged them back into her throat and thence into her innards; winding up by telling them that once something was on those hooks there was nothing she could do to spit something out even if she wanted to.

Nefer lived to be 19. The kids are in their early 30s and almost 40s and my hair is not appreciably a great deal grayer.

Pat

Hahaha! I have to be careful, otherwise my dog will take off with my tailor's ham.

I just give my dogs a roll of toilet paper. Within an hour, the floor is covered with what looks like snow.
    Of course there are many times someone leaves the downstairs bathroom door open, someone grabs the end of the toilet paper, and runs!
    In the basenji world, toilet paper is known as 'filler food.'

I buy their blankets at Walmart and have to check them to be sure they are the 'felted' kind. The ones with strings (threads) would be a disaster.
    You know that feeling when you've finished all your quilting projects and your studio is perfectly clean???? Me neither.

It's not how fast you sew, it's how well you sew fast! Wait, I think that's supposed to be MOW!

Quote Originally Posted by Z Any Mouse View Post
    Hahaha! I have to be careful, otherwise my dog will take off with my tailor's ham.
    That must be a pretty large dog. My dog loves his toys (real dog toys) but I'm careful to keep my pincushions out of reach as they are about the same size as a toy and I don't want him to make a mistake.
    Pat

I'm pretty sure she was being sarcastic. I too have a chewed up spool or two from puppies. Thankfully they didn't suffer any harm.

I know you're joking, but EMPTY spools actually do make great cat toys! One of my boys gets so excited; if I hold one up and sort of swing it back and forth he goes into hunter mode and hunches down and starts twitching his whiskers and making those little hunter noises cats make. Then I roll it across the hardwood floor and he goes nuts trying to "kill" it.

I have had to pull thread out of his mouth, though, and it was down his throat too. Really unpleasant for both of us. Now I have a gate up; none of the furkids are allowed in my sewing room anymore. I've had to have things removed from a dog's intestine before, would rather not go through that fear and drama (and bills) again! Fortunately my dogs don't seem to have any interest in thread, and they know fabric is off limits unless a knot is tied into it. I do make raggy toys for them pretty frequently but I watch it and take it away if they start actually eating the thing.

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    Oh I know what u mean feffertim..my foster cat loves thread , yarn, scraps of material. My dog wants nothing to do with it all. Lol silly animals.
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

I gave up and just bought strong, good baby gates to keep puppy and dog out of rooms they don't need into.
    I call our home the gated house or house of gates. They also keep the cats out of my sewing room. Caught my puppy 11 months old trying to chew a straight pin, by luck it was crosswise of his mouth. I took it out and now he is only allowed in sewing room when I hold him. He is low to the floor and can see better than I can.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

My dog will only play with something if it squeaks so we're safe with her. But my mother had a cockatiel whose greatest joy in life was sitting on her sewing machine and balling up the thread with her beak. You'd go in to sew and find little wet balls all over. I'm sure it was dangerous for the bird, but we didn't know that back then.
    I promise not to buy any more fabric until I see something I really like. Or it's on sale. Or I think it might match something.

Fortunately none of our dogs have had a desire for any sewing items...and they are in the sewing room any time I am. We did have one lab that loved paper - including dollar bills (regardless of denomination). If you caught him quickly enough we had a giant brown cash machine. If not, those bills were history. Or, before the days of coin counting machines at the banks, I'd have rolls of coins sitting on the coffee table. If I left the house with them still on the table, same dog would eat the wrappers. You would come home to find puddles of coins all over the house!