Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Not all thieves are stupid. - A warning (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/not-all-thieves-stupid-warning-t176512.html)

quilt1950 01-23-2012 02:37 PM

My sister's car was stolen while she was at work. Using her address from her registration, they drove the car to her home, opened the garage door, drove in, closed the garage door, and then stole whatever they wanted from her home. Opened the garage door, and drove away. When she called the police from work, they told her NOT to go into her house until the police met her there. Seems this is not uncommon.

ptquilts 01-23-2012 02:40 PM

DH always keeps the registration in his wallet. I think we will put the insurance paper in there too.

No GPS, no garage, no garage door, no garage door opener - sometimes it pays to be poor!!

mountain deb 01-23-2012 04:11 PM

Thanks to you and the story, we are now educated. I will be passing this on.

imdelagarza62 01-23-2012 05:45 PM

This is a continuing trend. They prey on people in their time of need. If anything sound too good to be true it usually is. Be careful as far as limits on bank atm's, you can increase your daily limit at the bank,but do so with caution.

quiltmom04 01-23-2012 07:01 PM

They could also get you address from your vehicle registration, which most people keep in the glove box.

MaryAnna 01-23-2012 07:49 PM

Thanks for the info!
Blessings,
MaryAnna

Cornerstone quilter 01-23-2012 11:10 PM

Scary stuff out there! I have my husband in my cell phone under: 'ICE' (with his name listed not hubby or husband) which stands for 'in case of emergency'. I read somewhere several years ago that emergency personnel look for emergency contacts under that heading. I have my daughter listed as 'ICE 2' for a second contact.

QM 01-23-2012 11:20 PM

Some friends of friends said that while they were at a football game their car was broken into. They lost the huge box on the back seat. They thought this was very funny as a) the thieves left clear fingrprints on their car but not on the others the broke into that day and b) the box was one they had created to fit the max size of an embassy bag. It was filled with toilet paper, rolls smashed for max content. things rarely turn out that well.

BTW, I have gotten literally hundreds of calls "about your credit account" and about "your mortgage". I don't have one of either. Our state atty general says that office has been swamped with calls on these, all after ID info.

Painiacs 01-24-2012 12:23 AM

So sad we have to be so wary of everything but better safe than sorry!!!

noveltyjunkie 01-24-2012 12:50 AM

This is an urban myth. It is certainly worth putting "home" on your mobile phone in case you are unconscious after an accident and police are looking for your next of kin. This is much more likely to happen the scenario copied here.