Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Not Complaining - Why Don't Doctors Listen? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/not-complaining-why-dont-doctors-listen-t160345.html)

AlwaysQuilting 10-14-2011 09:14 AM

I agree that you need to find a different doctor.

Why are pills the first thing doctors recommend?
Because that's how they are trained in the USA. The medical schools are funded by the big pharmaceutical companies.
Why isn't he listening to you?
He could just be bad at listening.
And / or he needs to rush all patients through so he can treat his daily patient quota to pay his overhead and insurance.
System stinks.

SouthPStitches 10-14-2011 09:15 AM

You have to find a primary care provider that speaks your language, listens and addresses your concerns. Sometimes, going to a physician's assistant or nurse practitioner may be a better fit. They often spend more time with the patient, are more thorough and have more general enthusiasm for the practice of medicine. They can be your best advocate as they have most times have immediate, direct access to the overseeing physician.

cathyvv 10-14-2011 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by donnajean
Sounds just like my GP doctor. ... I think I have a food allergy as well, but can't pin it down. What else would cause numb/tingling lips for almost 2 weeks now?

]

Donnajean,

Numb, tingling lips indicate a nerve problem. I suggest you see a neurologist. It's possible that an allergy could do that, but not as likely. Please have that investigated as soon as possible.

I agree with all those who said to get a new DR. My experience with some DRs is that after they see you a few times, you become a "condition", and they listen to you with that "condition" filtering their thoughts. When you aren't getting through to them, it's time to find a new Dr.

Tropical 10-14-2011 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
I think your concerns are totally valid. I also think you need to find a new doctor. Is this guy an allergist? If not, I'd be for finding one.

While doctors aren't there to tell us what we want to hear, but instead to diagose and treat, they still need to listen to their patients. What good does it do to write scripts for a patient that won't take the medication anyway?

No he is not an allergist. Some of the allergists I have tried don't treat food allergies. Still looking for one so I thought my doctor might have knowledge of one. As for the medications, it is a matter of severe reactions to them so I can't take them, therefore I won't. Depending on the type, I do usually do try new ones a couple of times to be sure.

SouthPStitches 10-14-2011 09:18 AM

Another thought (I work for a physician).....The general medical community gets unreasonably testy if a patient admits to searching on the internet for medical info. Really gets their hackles up. Okay to mention you've been doing some research on your own but best not to admit to Googling.

Granny Quilter 10-14-2011 09:19 AM

My doctor listens to me. That is why we are getting to the bottom of my problems. She sent me to another M.D. for an upper endoscopy, and he listened but told me I was crazy to think food stays in my esophagus. I have haad his test, and yesterday a gastric emptying study, and I was right. My Doc says I might have to go on a liquid diet for the rest of my life!

Tropical 10-14-2011 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Murphy
I had this happen to me and I changed doctors. This was the advice given to me by my growing up family doctor as he was retiring. It is your life and you should be heard. IMHO.

I agree with that advice. Still I have tried so many doctors over the years and have the same thing happen no matter who I go to for help or what their speciality happens to be. They all depend on pills for everything. I'm glad changing doctors worked for you. Right now I am looking for one who treats food allergies. :)

Ladyjanedoe 10-14-2011 09:28 AM

After working in a medical facility for years I can tell you that some docs are just better than others. You can bet each one of us in the department I worked in ( GI) knew who we'd see and who we'd NOT see for medical advice.

Tropical 10-14-2011 09:28 AM

Oh, I hope that doesn't have to happen. I have been thinking about it for myself and often blend things so I can drink them. Still, it is the allergies that cause a problem even if the food is blended.

I had the gastric emptying test and that isn't a problem. Another thing done by the gastroenterologist was to stretch my esphogus. He wanted to do it again 2 months later. I passed on that and eliminated wheat and that helped. Hearing that you found someone, helps me not to lose faith that I will, too. :)

Tropical 10-14-2011 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by SouthPStitches
Another thought (I work for a physician).....The general medical community gets unreasonably testy if a patient admits to searching on the internet for medical info. Really gets their hackles up. Okay to mention you've been doing some research on your own but best not to admit to Googling.

Good advice. :)