Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Not so well known facts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/not-so-well-known-facts-t155133.html)

Marge L. 09-24-2011 01:25 PM

Iowa has been the site of several movies, etc. "Bridges of Madison County", "Field of Dreams", and others that I don't recall the titles. One was actually filmed (partially) here in Marengo. We have the largest cereal mill in Cedar Rapids, the largest ice cream place in LeMars, did have the largest washing machine factory in Newton until the closed, after decades, and moved to Amana. Never did figure that one out. There are many other noted things and it's a long list.

Marge L. 09-24-2011 01:27 PM

Iowa has been the site of several movies, etc. "Bridges of Madison County", "Field of Dreams", and others that I don't recall the titles. One was actually filmed (partially) here in Marengo. We have the largest cereal mill in Cedar Rapids, the largest ice cream place in LeMars, did have the largest washing machine factory in Newton until the closed, after decades, and moved to Amana. Never did figure that one out. There are many other notable things and it's a long list. Yes, I'm proud of Iowa and wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

dlong 09-24-2011 02:09 PM

President George W Bush and his wife lived here before he became president. Not sure if that makes us famous or infamous. LOL

Boni53 09-24-2011 02:31 PM

Patrick Henry's home is at Red Hill, Roy Clark is from a little town Meherrin, the movie Summers B was filmed in Charlotte County, Appomattox County and in Clarksville. Our Dixie Youth team has won the state championship for 3 years in a row. We also have many Amish familes living here. Also PRince Edward County was first involved with segration(was a sad thing for all the children). We have 2 colleges Longwood University and Hampden Sydney.

Cagey 09-24-2011 03:13 PM

I grew up in Milwaukee WI - Beer town.
I live in southern Wisconsin for the last 35 years and is known for the cheese. Hmmm... Beer and cheese. Tailgate anyone?

janjj 09-24-2011 03:16 PM

another for Iowa Mason City is noted for 'The Music Man" and I believe Mr Sears of Sears and Roebuck was from Lake Mills. Thiere is a book written about a cat by the name of 'Dewey" found in a book return in a Library in either Esterville or Spencer.

Evelyn 09-24-2011 03:59 PM

Television was invented here In Clifton NJ. DuPont labs employed many townfolks.

coachmatthewsvhs 09-24-2011 04:28 PM

The Triple Cities, as my area is called, is the carousel capital of the world I'm told. We are also credited for a food, the yummy speidies we eat!!

marigold 09-24-2011 04:33 PM

st paul edie please contact me I to am from ST PAUL

cjr 09-24-2011 04:42 PM

What happens in Las Vegas stays in Las Vegas.