Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   nursing home quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/nursing-home-quilts-t113324.html)

ckcowl 04-04-2011 05:19 AM

sometimes it is the resident mis=placing their own objects and not someone taking them- when people do not always remember- it is easy enough to jump to (incorrect) conclusions when something is missing.
i made grandma a quilt she has in the care facility- family takes it home to launder instead of it going to the facility laundry-
one day grandma took the quilt to lunch with her- and spilled her soup on it---a caring aid ran to the rescue and took the quilt straight to laundry-
about 2 hours later (aid gone home for the day) grandma called daughter freaking right out that someone had STOLE her quilt!- panic sets in- search demanded- resident's up-rooted- accusations made---ugly ugly day---people who were visiting that day were even called at home and accused/questioned---
of course the next morning the quilt came back to her room all fresh and fine with the rest of her laundery....and many apologies were in order---when i was called later that night (of the missing) i said..."did anyone check with laundry?" of course the response was---"NO- the laundry is not allowed to wash her quilt"---
well, gee- maybe should check anyway---before kicking old folks out of their beds so they can be searched.

quiltmaker 04-04-2011 05:29 AM

What a sad commentary on nursing homes in all ways....I know there are more horror stories and pray I die at my sewing machine!

Kappy 04-04-2011 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by jmabby
This may seem funny, but my aunt would continously have her teeth stolen. After 4 sets her family quit buying her teeth. My aunt swore she knew who stole one set, but couldn't prove it. I think I would have engraved initials in them if I would have been a family member

Acutally they do mark the dentures! LOL

Nana2Sew 04-04-2011 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by quiltmaker
What a sad commentary on nursing homes in all ways....I know there are more horror stories and pray I die at my sewing machine!

Me too!

clem55 04-04-2011 06:23 AM

My dear niece had her cell phone and saddlebag taken the last time she was put in the hospital for a couple weeks ( sdhe is in a nursing hime). This padst week she was taken to the hospital again while having seizures, and was there for a week, I'm wondering if her Kindle, phone and quilt I made for her will be there when she get back. Her name is on the quilt, but I don't know if her daughter thought to mark the KIndle or not. We almost lost her this time, she has a DNR, and was at that point, but the doctor may send her back to the home today, even though she is still having mild seizures.

nativetexan 04-04-2011 06:36 AM

maybe all things should have those chips put in that you can use a remote to click and find when they "chirp"!!

damaquilts 04-04-2011 08:25 AM

When I had my surgery my daughter stayed with me for a few nights,we were told by other patients it was a good idea. She left her pillow and pajamas in my room at the hospital. One day while I was out of the room for some reason her jammies and pillow were taken. Go figure.

writerwomen 04-04-2011 11:59 AM

The response of the administrator of a senior care facility often is reactionary to irrate and those habitually griping families who feel nothing is enough. Many hours are spent calming family members and Administrators have to shut their door at times to them so they can focus on the task of actually caring fro the residents and staff. If you do hve to get their attention yo'l get a great deal more help and empathy if you note you realize they are very busy and would very much appreciate their help- granted there are some who are not helpful but generally they are and want to ensure your family members well being is at it's best. If you question if they are not caring for yor family member contact the ombudsman who can intervine