nursing home quilts

Old 04-03-2011, 08:25 PM

Recently there was a topic of nursing home quilts and other property being stolen. I had shared my husband had been in senior care for many years and a few thoughts on the matter. Tonight he asked what was one of the chat topic and I told him of this one. He shared there also is something commonly refered to as 'shopping'. Residents will go into each others room and take things they like, return to their room and hide it. In all most all cases it is not a malicious act but it requires the staff to basically do a strip down complete room to room search looking in and under things- even between the matresses. So- if you have a family member in senior care- request a search be done and do follow up that they are looking. Even if they don't turn up what you are missing, they may find other items gone missing. To cap that with an actual incident. My husband had been given a very expensive pen and had carried it into one of the senoir care facilities he was inspecting. One of the residents remarked how shiney it was. When he got home it was no where to be found. Several days later the staff phoned to let him know he could pick up his pen at the front desk and it was sanitized and bagged. Turned out the sweet little frail alzheinmer impaired woman had taken it right from under his nose and stuck it in the back of her underwear. The staff decided they better check what was up as she kept adjusting her underwear and refused to allow them to help her in anyway. Okay- so a quilt is a little big for that, but you may be surprised where it turns up. Now that I think of it, I remeber his telling me not to bring anything into the homes we could not keep a hand on- to include the kids- the residents were forever taking them off places and introducing them as their grandchild or trying to tuck them in their own bed.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:29 PM

This may seem funny, but my aunt would continously have her teeth stolen. After 4 sets her family quit buying her teeth. My aunt swore she knew who stole one set, but couldn't prove it. I think I would have engraved initials in them if I would have been a family member
Old 04-03-2011, 08:37 PM

What a thought. It's a shame someone can't have something thats means something to them in a place that has to be considered their home.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:37 PM

It is not only the residents, but the aides will take lotions and soaps and things from one resident to use on another resident and then "forget" to return. Remember, use black magic marker and write the resident name in big bold letters on everything you take in.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by jmabby
This may seem funny, but my aunt would continously have her teeth stolen. After 4 sets her family quit buying her teeth. My aunt swore she knew who stole one set, but couldn't prove it. I think I would have engraved initials in them if I would have been a family member
I worked in dental for many years so may have a tip on that. Grossly enough there actually are places that will take an old denture an fit it to someone else- perhaps with the new laws on health issues hat may be illegal(that's besides the point). Dentures now actually are made with the persons name on them . They look like a tiny clear printed label adhered to the inside of the plate that fits against the roof of the mouth or the lower gum line. We often saw residents from homes who were claiming they had been taken or other reasons they wouldn't wear them -because they conciously could not connect the fact that the pain they had in their mouth was that the structure of the mouth was changing (deteriorating) and the dentures needed refitting. There was one instance where a woman brought her husband in who was a very petite frail man with ahlzhiemers. The doctor cleared us all out of the room after looking at the denture afraid for our safety. That little old man had taken his lower denture which was a metal horsesharped frame and literally crushed it in his hand. Why was the Doctors afraid for the staffs safety- because those dentures are formed by machines exerting hundreds of pounds of pressure. Staff in senior settings often find dentures places they don't expect- like in the wash.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:04 PM

I made a quilt for a gentleman in a care home. So far he still has it. I used my machine to stitch his name around the entire quilt. I sewed a label on the back with his name on it, embroidered in bright blue and then I used the embroidery unit to put his name on the front in neon orange. If anyone gets anywhere near that quilt, they will know who it belongs to.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:07 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Gee, we know about Senior Senility and Senior Abuse, but......Senior Pirates??! That's a new one on me! Who'da thought....?

Jan in VA
Old 04-03-2011, 09:10 PM

This happens in most nursing home facilities. I know it happened all the time in the one my father was in.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:19 PM

[quote=HummerGardenCrafts]This happens in most nursing home facilities. I know it happened all the time in the one my father was in.
---------------------------
I suspect this happens frequently in all care homes. That old demon Alzheimer's is the reason. My DH was in a nursing home for 3 years, and he was always losing things. There was one sweet little lady who went around to empty rooms and searched the bedside drawers, removing anything that caught her eye. The workers there regularly searched HER room and returned found objects to their proper rooms. Only now and then did anyone get really upset about this, most knew it would return to them. My own DH got upset when someone stole his chocolates!! That he would not share!!
Old 04-04-2011, 03:51 AM

Things do disappear in assisted living facilities, more so in dementia units. Alzheimer’s patients leave things behind (like glasses, sweaters, etc. or they put them in unusual places.) They also like a little child innocently take what they want because they want it. It’s a good idea to put their name on everything even glasses by taping a small sticky note identified by color or nail polish on the side of the glasses – part that goes over your ear.)