View Single Post
Old 04-03-2011, 08:49 PM
writerwomen

Originally Posted by jmabby
This may seem funny, but my aunt would continously have her teeth stolen. After 4 sets her family quit buying her teeth. My aunt swore she knew who stole one set, but couldn't prove it. I think I would have engraved initials in them if I would have been a family member
I worked in dental for many years so may have a tip on that. Grossly enough there actually are places that will take an old denture an fit it to someone else- perhaps with the new laws on health issues hat may be illegal(that's besides the point). Dentures now actually are made with the persons name on them . They look like a tiny clear printed label adhered to the inside of the plate that fits against the roof of the mouth or the lower gum line. We often saw residents from homes who were claiming they had been taken or other reasons they wouldn't wear them -because they conciously could not connect the fact that the pain they had in their mouth was that the structure of the mouth was changing (deteriorating) and the dentures needed refitting. There was one instance where a woman brought her husband in who was a very petite frail man with ahlzhiemers. The doctor cleared us all out of the room after looking at the denture afraid for our safety. That little old man had taken his lower denture which was a metal horsesharped frame and literally crushed it in his hand. Why was the Doctors afraid for the staffs safety- because those dentures are formed by machines exerting hundreds of pounds of pressure. Staff in senior settings often find dentures places they don't expect- like in the wash.