Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   An odd find (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/odd-find-t270014.html)

OhCanada 09-15-2015 09:55 AM

An odd find

After my dad passed, mom needed to downsize from the family home to something more manageable. My brothers and I all pitched in to help mom figure out what to bring, what to sell or give away. As I was going through the linen closet I found a slim glove box, I opened it up to find an 8" length of braided blonde hair. My brothers and I had a fit of giggles when we found out it was mom's! Over 70 years old. She said she could never bring herself around to the idea of throwing it out. Now I'm the 'keeper of the braid'. I have a black & white photo of mom at age 7, with her hair in braids, I was thinking about putting it in a shadow box along with that braid...

Onebyone 09-15-2015 11:10 AM

Sorry but yuk. LOL I'm sure it will be a conversation piece for sure.

ManiacQuilter2 09-15-2015 12:01 PM

People in the early ages of this country treasured hair from a love one. I might make a mini quilt with her favorite colors to put in with the braided hair in a shadow box. If the family is upset, then put it in your quilting room or private area.

moonwork42029 09-15-2015 01:11 PM

My grandmother had "her" braid that was cut when she got married. It wasn't proper for a married woman to have such long hair so her husband made her cut it off.

She kept it in her bottom drawer...I think for memories of her youth.

huntannette 09-15-2015 01:34 PM

People used to use hair to make embroidered Art....

Originally Posted by OhCanada (Post 7318145)
After my dad passed, mom needed to downsize from the family home to something more manageable. My brothers and I all pitched in to help mom figure out what to bring, what to sell or give away. As I was going through the linen closet I found a slim glove box, I opened it up to find an 8" length of braided blonde hair. My brothers and I had a fit of giggles when we found out it was mom's! Over 70 years old. She said she could never bring herself around to the idea of throwing it out. Now I'm the 'keeper of the braid'. I have a black & white photo of mom at age 7, with her hair in braids, I was thinking about putting it in a shadow box along with that braid...

M.Elizabeth 09-15-2015 03:34 PM

In 1996, we had an exchange student from Sao Paulo, Brazil, who had hair down to his shoulder blades. After he had been here a couple of months, he and my husband went "out" on a Saturday morning, but seemed secretive. He had his hair cut and wanted to surprise me. But the most amazing thing is - he packaged his hair and mailed it to his mother. As you probably know, anything mailed out of the USA must be declared. (Probably more so after 9-11) I told the postal clerk I had mailed several things over the years, but NEVER hair!

GEMRM 09-15-2015 05:23 PM

My mother had a heart condition and the doctor kept telling her she should cut my hair because it was too much reaching/stretching to brush and braid it (I was young). When I was 6 years old she finally gave in, and I got a "pixie" cut (what a shock!). She kept those braids for years, and I mean years!

Stitchnripper 09-15-2015 05:34 PM

Somewhere I have one of my baby curls. My hair started out copper colored (like a new penny my mother said) and curly. It turned dark brown and stick straight as I got older.

OhCanada 09-16-2015 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 7318208)
Sorry but yuk. LOL I'm sure it will be a conversation piece for sure.

LOL, no need to apologize. My first reaction was 'what the heck??' and to throw it away. But then my husband said maybe I shouldn't throw it away because my mom had kept it for so long. So here I am, wondering what to do with it...

kathy 09-16-2015 03:34 AM

I think you should keep it as long as she's still here, she may be hurt that it's not important to anyone (I speak from experience)