Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: An odd find

Blog Entries

An odd find

After my dad passed, mom needed to downsize from the family home to something more manageable. My brothers and I all pitched in to help mom figure out what to bring, what to sell or give away. As I was going through the linen closet I found a slim glove box, I opened it up to find an 8" length of braided blonde hair. My brothers and I had a fit of giggles when we found out it was mom's! Over 70 years old. She said she could never bring herself around to the idea of throwing it out. Now I'm the 'keeper of the braid'. I have a black & white photo of mom at age 7, with her hair in braids, I was thinking about putting it in a shadow box along with that braid...
    Valerie

Sorry but yuk. LOL I'm sure it will be a conversation piece for sure.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

People in the early ages of this country treasured hair from a love one. I might make a mini quilt with her favorite colors to put in with the braided hair in a shadow box. If the family is upset, then put it in your quilting room or private area.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

My grandmother had "her" braid that was cut when she got married. It wasn't proper for a married woman to have such long hair so her husband made her cut it off.

She kept it in her bottom drawer...I think for memories of her youth.
    Lisa L.
    Howdies from Possum Trot (yes it does exist)
    My most recent swap - Boomerang 16

People used to use hair to make embroidered Art....
    Quote Originally Posted by OhCanada View Post
    After my dad passed, mom needed to downsize from the family home to something more manageable. My brothers and I all pitched in to help mom figure out what to bring, what to sell or give away. As I was going through the linen closet I found a slim glove box, I opened it up to find an 8" length of braided blonde hair. My brothers and I had a fit of giggles when we found out it was mom's! Over 70 years old. She said she could never bring herself around to the idea of throwing it out. Now I'm the 'keeper of the braid'. I have a black & white photo of mom at age 7, with her hair in braids, I was thinking about putting it in a shadow box along with that braid...

In 1996, we had an exchange student from Sao Paulo, Brazil, who had hair down to his shoulder blades. After he had been here a couple of months, he and my husband went "out" on a Saturday morning, but seemed secretive. He had his hair cut and wanted to surprise me. But the most amazing thing is - he packaged his hair and mailed it to his mother. As you probably know, anything mailed out of the USA must be declared. (Probably more so after 9-11) I told the postal clerk I had mailed several things over the years, but NEVER hair!

My mother had a heart condition and the doctor kept telling her she should cut my hair because it was too much reaching/stretching to brush and braid it (I was young). When I was 6 years old she finally gave in, and I got a "pixie" cut (what a shock!). She kept those braids for years, and I mean years!

Somewhere I have one of my baby curls. My hair started out copper colored (like a new penny my mother said) and curly. It turned dark brown and stick straight as I got older.
    Alyce

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    Sorry but yuk. LOL I'm sure it will be a conversation piece for sure.
    LOL, no need to apologize. My first reaction was 'what the heck??' and to throw it away. But then my husband said maybe I shouldn't throw it away because my mom had kept it for so long. So here I am, wondering what to do with it...
    Valerie

I think you should keep it as long as she's still here, she may be hurt that it's not important to anyone (I speak from experience)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kathy View Post
    I think you should keep it as long as she's still here, she may be hurt that it's not important to anyone (I speak from experience)
    Yes, that is wise advice, and why I'm holding on to it. I guess it can simply sit in the bottom of my drawer now, I shouldn't feel obligated to do anything with it.
    Valerie

I like the shadow box idea, especially if you add other family photo's and objects!!!

I would put a picture of her with her braids and the braid of hair in the shadow box with a beautiful old fashioned handkerchief or doily. I think it's a sweet sentiment. Maybe very gently was the braid first.

It may sound a bit morbid to some of you, but just before they closed the casket for the last time, I asked the director for scissors so I could cut a lock of my beloved father's hair. You see, I bought three of those round glass lockerts and divided daddy's thick, beautiful curl into three special memory pieces....one for momma and one for my sister and myself.

That is a terrific idea! I have a tiny lock of my father's hair from when he was about two years. It is nearly blond. When I knew him, his hair was black. Funny how that goes....
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

I have two beautiful containers on my dresser from the 1800's I inherited from an aunt. One of the containers has a hole in the top and it was to hold hair that came from the brush. You take the hair and braid it into a watch fob for your husband so he will remember you. I think if you google this subject, you will find out that there is a great deal of information about it.

Blog Entries
    I think it's kind of neat. It's certainly a conversation piece. In a shadow box with some other momentoes might be kind of nice.
    Sometimes there is a very fine line between hobby and mental illness.
    Reggie

Blog Entries
    Oh goodness, yes. That sounds like a wonderful idea. No Yuk here!

This thread has made me think a bit.
    In our family photo album there is a curl of my hair with one of my "baby" photos. I have always been blessed with very thick hair, and it is a thick curl that I think my mother saved from my first haircut. I was fairly blond as a child, and now I am not. I turned an auburn-ish brown, and now due to help form the hairdresser, I am camouflaged. I was also thinking that there are none form my siblings in there. I don 't know if they were not saved, or one of them took theirs and got rid of them.

Happy Day
    Susan
    “The meaning of life is to find your gift. The purpose of life is to give it away.” – Anonymous
    Susan - AKA _ Anglelight

I still have the ponytail my oldest son gave me 20 yrs ago. His hair was almost to his waist when he cut it off.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

Blog Entries
    when my son was younger, boys had tails. he wanted one nd grew one for a year.
    when I cut it off, about 4" I did a counted cross stitch rocking horse and put it on the tail of the horse.
    with "MY TAIL" under it.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
    when my son was younger, boys had tails. he wanted one nd grew one for a year.
    when I cut it off, about 4" I did a counted cross stitch rocking horse and put it on the tail of the horse.
    with "MY TAIL" under it.
    This is such a great idea! What a special way to save his "tail".

My friend had a porcelain doll made and the doll's hair was from her own daughter. I don't know if you have enough hair for this, but the doll was really pretty and she was happy to use the hair she had cut.
    The joy of the Lord is my strength.

Blog Entries
    I have my grandmother's braid, put it in a box frame that was meant for a tassel from a graduation cap, some people might think it odd, but I don't have a problem with it.. its in my curio cabinet.. if my kids think anything about it they have never said, and I wouldn't care if they did say something, to each their own.

When my dad passed away, my children were 5, 7, & 9 yrs old. I snipped a lock of hair from each, and put that in his casket, the kids put a white rose (I put a yellow rose...he had always sung that song to me as a child). A part of us will always be with my dad. I don't think saving the braid is yucky at all...it's a memory.
    Marge Campbell
    TL18LS/Qbot V3 automated quilter
    https://www.facebook.com/campbellsquiltingbymarge

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast