An odd find

Old 09-17-2015, 06:02 PM

Another thing to do is donate their hair to a cancer center. They are then made into wigs for patients who lose their hair from having chemo. We did that when my aunt died and we found her braids. They were greatly appreciated.
Old 09-17-2015, 06:52 PM

You have made me wonder a bit. I know I have my DD's braided hair from when she was 6 or so and insisted on cutting her hair--it was almost to her waist at the time. Hmmm...now where did I put it? As for your mother's braid-- Keep it. Treasure it--even if it is in your bottom dresser drawer--just make sure someone knows what it is.
Old 09-17-2015, 07:20 PM
Power Poster

I think it's a great idea since it's been kept in a glove box and was probably clean when it was put in. If you want to clean it, you can lay it flat in a piece of silk or nylon. Do not undo the braid. No need to handle it a lot as long as it is still in a braid. Gently pat with a little unscented shampoo then rinse with a wet cloth and squeeze the cloth over the hair. Let it dry completely and then unwrap the hair. You can secure it with a bow/ribbon on both ends if you want. It'll be fine. As long as it's clean no problem. My neighbor down the street has her first and second braids and she cleans them. Her first braid is from her first cut at 15 years old and tied in a bow. Her second is from her hair growing another 10 years and tied in a bow. She has them in pretty glass dishes with lids.
Old 09-18-2015, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by OhCanada View Post
LOL, no need to apologize. My first reaction was 'what the heck??' and to throw it away. But then my husband said maybe I shouldn't throw it away because my mom had kept it for so long. So here I am, wondering what to do with it...
Personally, I think it's a wonderful idea and not any yuckier than when women used to wear mink coats that got passed through the family. Who knows what that fur went through before it caught!
Old 09-18-2015, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
I interned in a history museum years ago--people would keep locks or braids of hair as mementos and put in shadowboxes, use for embroider work, etc. We might think it's yucky because we've become so clean freak about everything. I personally saved my son's tail when he finally decided to have it cut--we put it in an envelope and gave to my Mom for Christmas that year as she was always bugging him to "cut that thing off"! When she died, I got it back and still have it!
I just have to add something I heard on one of the late night shows last night.
He asked for viewers to send in their most memorable school experience and received this one:
For the longest time I (male) grew a tail when they were popular and on the first day of school I sat in the seat I was assigned to. I wasn't there more than a minute and the girl behind me took out her scissors and cut it off.
"I ain't looking at THAT all year!"
Old 09-18-2015, 02:27 PM

I have a watch fob made of my grandmother's hair -- she cut it off after she was married and had the watch fob made for my grandfather. I would have never known what her hair color was like when she was young since I only saw her gray. I saw someone on Antiques Road show with a set made of hair. I wish I had though to save my children's hair -- would be fun to show them now.
Old 09-20-2015, 06:43 AM

There is an organization that takes donated hair and makes wigs for children with cancer. I don't know the name of this organization, but you could google it. Just a thought if you want it "out" of the family.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:46 AM

i have the 12" braid from my oldest son. our rule was simple. kept clean and neat it could be down to your toes. otherwise, off it goes! my son became a knight at medieval times and his hair was a big draw to the damsels, ,lol' the braid i have is from his high school years. i offered it to his wife, a former high school admirer, but she didn't want it. i will keep it and when i'm gone they can do whatever with it. speaking of gone....he now has a cue ball hairdo.
Old 09-21-2015, 12:09 PM

I have the small braid of my grandmother's little sister who died of diphtheria. She had cut her hair herself with a little scissor and her mom saved it. We have a photo taken of her just after she cut it and you can see the funny stub of hair behind her ear. She died soon after. I treasure the picture and the braid.
No one has mentioned the wonderful treasure of DNA from a long ago relative. As testing becomes more common, it might come in handy for tracking family lines or something. Some of my kids think it's icky, too, but I think one of them will treasure it some day.