Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Isn't this odd?

About a week ago I went to Walmart and bought some $1 "mystery content" fabric. (I couldn't really resist :oops: ) Then the other day at Jo-Anns I found the SAME fabric on the redline-priced fabric for $4 a yard. I swear it's exactly the same... is this normal or is it just a fluke? Has this happened to anyone else?

Some manufacturers use the same print, but different gray-goods to print them on. I've bought Wal-Mart stuff to match something I had gotten at Hancock's and the difference was clear once they were washed. I always hit those red-dot Joanne specials, too, and have noticed the quality has been getting very iffy on some.

I don't think I've ever seen the unknown content label anywhere buy Wally World though - I have a feeling they recycle the cardboard centers.

I have picked up some great fabrics at the $1 table at Walmart. You just need to keep your eyes open.

I only buy fabric when I find good deals. I won't spend alot on fabric. I just won't do it.
    Judy in Ohio

I try not to spend alot on fabric by the yard...unless it is a special project and will be "costly" from start to finish.
    Went to WalMart yesterday and they are getting rid of the crafting dept...not sure if they ever had fabric..
    My old WalMart store did.
    Miss that, it was easier on the mind and wallet buying inexpensive fabric and I didn't feel so bad about chopping it up when I was just starting out with quilting.
    Kirsten

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonpi
    Some manufacturers use the same print, but different gray-goods to print them on. I've bought Wal-Mart stuff to match something I had gotten at Hancock's and the difference was clear once they were washed. I always hit those red-dot Joanne specials, too, and have noticed the quality has been getting very iffy on some.
    Last week I wanted to use some of that red dot stuff and realized I'd made a mistake getting that! I didn't check it out and I could totally see right through it! Yuck! :? :twisted:

I bought one fabric from Walmart that had little blue teddy bears on it... It was very cute and it was only a dollar a yard... It stuck to my iron after I washed and dried it... It wasn't pretty, let me tell you... I still have haunting nightmares of that little teddy bear laughing at me...
    Mocking teddy bears should be banned.

LOL Cathy! I agree

I have no problem with my fabric from Walmart. My store has many brand names on the salvage not the cardboard. I am careful to feel all fabric I buy. If it is unknown content you are taking a chance.....but I have bought some lovely curtain fabric and garmet fabric that way. There are some big hints in care instructions.

A lot of Joanns cottons are not good quality either. I go a lot by the feel here also. I have ordered fabric on line and the score is 50% on that.

No one place you buy fabric is bad or good.......its up to you to buy or not :D

After all the time and work you put into making a quilt, I prefer that it be quality fabric, so it looks nice and lasts a long time. So, I never use cheap fabric. Usually a quilting store has everything you would want at average $8 a yard. I think it's well worth it.

Price alone does not determine the quality of fabric. A lot of people who are on this board to not have the disposable income to pay quilt store prices. We are to busy trying to just pay our bills and eat.

I have seen some beautiful work on here and I can't tell the difference. Remember previous ancestors used old clothes and any bits of fabrics they could acquire.......and some of those are still around and quite valuable

Banned
    I got some stuff at Hancock's today - 50% off and believe it or not, the selvage says "exclusively for Joann's"....
    are they affiliated now? have been for awhile? I don't know but thought that odd....

Hancock's - at least here - and when I say here it's about 85 miles from here :shock: - has lots of 'name brand' fabric on the $3 and $4 rack that had been $7 and up originally...
    it's still just as beautiful and FEELS GOOD too....

this today was $1.80 a yard when all was said and done - and the stuff that 'feels' the same in Joanns today is over $5 a yard

I'd say my 'stash' is just where it needs to be now that gas has gone ridiculous, we are retired and on fixed income and cannot spend that much on gas to run to fabric store and pay $8 a yard for what was $4 and jacked up now because of transportation costs etc...

Now the stuff that has come into walmart the last several months is NOT what they were getting even a year ago... it has a LOT more sizing in it than it did and feels much 'cheaper' than before (I'm talking about the $2 a yard quilter's fabrics)...

I have lots of WM fabric in my stash and I can tell the difference in THEIR material in the last year or so....

I've bought some of the $1-a-yard stuff at walmart but used it mostly for quilt backing .. . . .but I have also gotten some great remnants and other fabric at walmart - unfortunately our local ones terminated their fabric departments last year.

I do buy lots at joann's . . . and I go by the feel as well as the color; and only use cotton any more.

Years ago I did use some gingham from joann's in a quilt . . . and the squares frayed loose from the stitching over the course of time. So I never ever use gingham . . I'm sure there is some that is good for quilting, but once burned, twice shy.

I've been to quilt shops . . . and I can't tell the difference in quality from joann's keepsake calicos. . . except of course for the price!

Blog Entries
    I use fabrics from Walmart to quiltshops....if I can find what I need cheap I buy it there, and have only had to go to quilting shops a couple of times for specific fabrics. I don't think any of the quilts I make for family, friends, or charity will become heirlooms. I want them to be used to the max and enjoyed, I can always make them more over the years! :D :D :D

I have to confess that up til now I've never used first quality fabrics, but my sister and I are taking an in depth "beginner" course at a local quilting store. I use the "" because it is quite a challenge! So many techniques to learn. I've learned to love hand quilting. Back to the point......I have to say quilting with first quality fabric is much more pleasant. The texture of the fabric, the consistent weight, the ease of the needle going thru it is quite a bit better. I love it! I now want to purchase some fabric from Connecting Threads. I've read on other postings that they have superior fabric for less than $6.00 per yard. I can't really afford $8-12 per yd. like at our local specialty shops.

Linda

Well, pardon me!

I tend to think that some quilt shops are owned by snobs and if you tell them or even mention that you have bought ANYTHING from any place other than a QUILT SHOP, they will gasp, fall down and melt away. (too bad that doesn't really happen. lol)
    My point? You can get GOOD quality fabrics from other places than a quilt shop. Does that mean that a quilt shop ONLY carries GOOD quality? NOPE!
    I don't know what manufacturers you are referring to that are making this "superior" fabric you are talking about, but I have found quilting fabric (Cranston, Timeless Treasures, Moda, Micheal Miller, Thimbleberrys and a few more) at Ben Franklins here in Guam. Now, yes they do sell some stuff I wouldn't consider using, but some others might use it. To each their own, as they say.
    The fabrics that I have mentioned are also found at Walmart and some of the other little stores. (ones that the quilt snobs would die and fade away if they were ever in them)
    So, we quilt with what we can afford, so if you can afford the GOOD SUPERIOR stuff, as you say, then that's good! Some of us are less fortunate and get what we can because it's either what we can afford or what is readily available to us because of where we live in the world.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bettlove
    After all the time and work you put into making a quilt, I prefer that it be quality fabric, so it looks nice and lasts a long time. So, I never use cheap fabric. Usually a quilting store has everything you would want at average $8 a yard. I think it's well worth it.
    The quilting stores in my hometown start at $9.00 a yard, and alot of the fabrics go up to $12.00 a yard. We are not trying to be rude, but I myself am retired and can only buy the fabric that I can afford and try to get the best quality for a much cheaper price.

I'm always looking to buy at the cheapest price possible- I search the bargain bins at the quilt shops and Wal-Mart. I go by feel, making sure it's sturdy enough for my projects. Up until recently, I didn't worry too much about cost, but I have had to adjust my lifestyle with the economic downturn with the mortgage and credit crisis. I've always considered myself a bargain hunter- even doing yard sales and flea markets for my "finds." So, no $8.00 a yard, but I do get the good stuff at bargain prices.

P.S. I find the classified/resources section is incredibly helpful in finding those bargains. And whenever I'm on a site looking for something specific, I always check to see if they have free patterns or offering free shipping, something of value to make my purchase that much better.

Its beginning to sound like we are picking on Bette, I don't think she was trying to make the rest of us feel bad. This is the US, if people in this country have money its because they work hard for it and she has her own opinion . She can make her quilts the way she sees fit as can we.........we love you Bette

I wasn't picking on Bette. Would never do that.
    I was making a statement about the different fabric and the costs. Wondering what is "superior" with regards to buying out of a quilting store vs buying anywhere else.

I also, don't think that Bette was aiming her comment at us. I think she was just airing what she thought the rest of us were thinking as to the fabric types.
    I'm still curious tho, what is considered superior,,,,as in WHICH manufacturers make fabric more superior than others. <shrug>

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bettlove
    Well, pardon me!
    Please, don't take offense... we all know exactly where you are coming from.... and if you can afford those nicer materials, that's great...
    frankly we ALL would love to be able to go in a quilt shop - ooooo and aaaaah and pick out what we need for a project or three without concern over costs - believe me, I've seen some stuff just in Hancocks that I would ABSOLUTELY love to have - but it is $8 a yard (the new music fabric - it's to die for)

but, right now, I want to have this HUGE stash because my husband and I both are getting to where we cannot just jump in the car and run down to the stores... aside from money concerns, we live 85 miles from decent fabric stores.....

And we all know you are right in that some of the $1 and $2 fabric isn't worth the time or effort .... but what it is good for is for the folks just starting who are scared to death to cut their $$ fabric for fear of ruining it...
    In those cases spending money on the really cheap stuff IS worth it - because you gain confidence and skills working with it....

and I do recommend that someone just starting grab a few yards of wallyworld fabric and have at it.... learn how to use the rotary cutter, learn how to eyeball a quarter inch seam, learn how to rip a seam without ruining the fabric, learn all kinds of stuff... make a wall hanging, a lap quilt, etc then "go for the gold" once you have the confidence!

There's nothing like a great looking wall hanging to give you some much needed confidence!

I see so many comments on here like "I'm afraid to cut the material"....
    so - get something from the markdown (the usual quilter's stuff from Wallyworld marked down to a dollar a yard) and get to cutting!

Learn how to use templates, learn how to cut strips, get busy!!

If you hate it - hide it! If you love it - show it off!

:mrgreen:

I have alot of fabric I don't want to cut. It's just too pretty!! lol

I hope my comments did not offend anyone. I was just commenting on my own experience. I have volumes of "stash" from all the places you mentioned. I even use some old clothes I find in thrift stores, although that can be a pricey situation. My husbands old jeans don't go to waste either. Philosophically I believe in using what we have and can afford and I believe we can all produce true art with our Wally World stuff. Really, I couldn't afford to quilt without the $2.00 stuff. Since I can't work anymore and have no income other than what my husband gives me every dime has to count. My dear darling husband allowed me to splurge and take this course (of course they require you buy their fabric) and I know what I've learned will help me produce a better quality quilt with the stash I have. Perhaps my wording or expression could have been better. In retrospect, "superior" is probably not the word I should have used. I definitely am no elitist regarding quilting and don't belong to the quilt police. We all have a need to express ourselves artistically and we're fortunate to have the options we have. It's a shame we are losing so many places like at WalMart. Again, my apologies. No intent to offend.

Linda

I have fabric from all sorts of places. We have Alco here and they have fabric, some of it the high end names at affordable prices. We were told from the manager that some of it is end runs, other is last years patterns printed on lower thread count fabric, and some of the company's will sell their patterns.

When I buy fabric at the discount stores I just make sure it had a decent weight/thread count to it. And I always prewash in case it shrinks more.

But even at a quilt shop I check weight if I don't recognize the name of the manufacturer on the bolt. We have a shop here in town that sells some stuff that isn't worth $8.00 a yard and it should be in cheap bin at Wal-Mart

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast