Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Isn't this odd? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/isnt-odd-t7491.html)

Melissa 05-25-2008 03:22 PM

About a week ago I went to Walmart and bought some $1 "mystery content" fabric. (I couldn't really resist :oops: ) Then the other day at Jo-Anns I found the SAME fabric on the redline-priced fabric for $4 a yard. I swear it's exactly the same... is this normal or is it just a fluke? Has this happened to anyone else?

Moonpi 05-25-2008 03:47 PM

Some manufacturers use the same print, but different gray-goods to print them on. I've bought Wal-Mart stuff to match something I had gotten at Hancock's and the difference was clear once they were washed. I always hit those red-dot Joanne specials, too, and have noticed the quality has been getting very iffy on some.

I don't think I've ever seen the unknown content label anywhere buy Wally World though - I have a feeling they recycle the cardboard centers.

Cathe 05-25-2008 04:12 PM

I have picked up some great fabrics at the $1 table at Walmart. You just need to keep your eyes open.

judy_68 05-25-2008 04:48 PM

I only buy fabric when I find good deals. I won't spend alot on fabric. I just won't do it.
Judy in Ohio

ScubaK 05-25-2008 08:51 PM

I try not to spend alot on fabric by the yard...unless it is a special project and will be "costly" from start to finish.
Went to WalMart yesterday and they are getting rid of the crafting dept...not sure if they ever had fabric..
My old WalMart store did.
Miss that, it was easier on the mind and wallet buying inexpensive fabric and I didn't feel so bad about chopping it up when I was just starting out with quilting.
Kirsten

Celeste 05-25-2008 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Moonpi
Some manufacturers use the same print, but different gray-goods to print them on. I've bought Wal-Mart stuff to match something I had gotten at Hancock's and the difference was clear once they were washed. I always hit those red-dot Joanne specials, too, and have noticed the quality has been getting very iffy on some.

Last week I wanted to use some of that red dot stuff and realized I'd made a mistake getting that! I didn't check it out and I could totally see right through it! Yuck! :? :twisted:

Cathy M 05-25-2008 11:27 PM

I bought one fabric from Walmart that had little blue teddy bears on it... It was very cute and it was only a dollar a yard... It stuck to my iron after I washed and dried it... It wasn't pretty, let me tell you... I still have haunting nightmares of that little teddy bear laughing at me...
Mocking teddy bears should be banned.

kathy 05-26-2008 02:50 AM

LOL Cathy! I agree

Knot Sew 05-26-2008 06:16 AM

I have no problem with my fabric from Walmart. My store has many brand names on the salvage not the cardboard. I am careful to feel all fabric I buy. If it is unknown content you are taking a chance.....but I have bought some lovely curtain fabric and garmet fabric that way. There are some big hints in care instructions.

A lot of Joanns cottons are not good quality either. I go a lot by the feel here also. I have ordered fabric on line and the score is 50% on that.

No one place you buy fabric is bad or good.......its up to you to buy or not :D

bettlove 05-26-2008 07:41 AM

After all the time and work you put into making a quilt, I prefer that it be quality fabric, so it looks nice and lasts a long time. So, I never use cheap fabric. Usually a quilting store has everything you would want at average $8 a yard. I think it's well worth it.