Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Odd things family members say... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/odd-things-family-members-say-t174828.html)

damaquilts 01-09-2012 10:29 AM

I forgot about this one. A few years ago my DD and I took a trip from GA to FL she told me to wake her when we got to FL and proceeded to fall asleep in the passenger seat. As I was crossing the bridge I reach over, shook her and told her we just hit the FL line. She woke up, looked out the window and said PENGUINS!! so to this day Pelicans are called penquins in our house.
Oh I failed to mention she had dyed her hair with purple Manic Panic before we left , drooled in her sleep so the whole right side of her face was purple too.
Needless to say I had to pull off the road because I totally lost it.

Letty 01-09-2012 10:45 AM

On the subject of odd things family members say, I had a friend who was a great believer in natural Yoghurt, she told me it was good for me because it was full of natural orgasms!

MadQuilter 01-09-2012 10:47 AM

When Pat gets surprised he'll say something like "well smear my cheeks with honey and tie me to an ant hill" or "butter my buns and call me biscuit.

One of my friends read somewhere that nails and hair grow even after a person dies. She asked her husband: "Will I still be a blonde?" His answer: "You aren't one now!" (She colors her hair) lol

Same girl got really confused why the side of the freeway in Southern California had all that netting along the road. The area is known for bad fog so she asked if that netting was there to hold back the fog. ROFL.

My mother's aunt told her that she had gotten the uncle a genital watch for his birthday. Ever since then, any digital piece of equipment is called a genital whatever it is.

Tulip 01-09-2012 11:46 AM

Last week I was serving breakfast to my two grandaughters, I brought out a special snack for the four year old and mentioned after breakfast she could have it for her snack when she wanted. Well, my mistake because she "lost" her appetite, reminded her if she was full, she wouldn't have room for her special snack right away. She said, I was kidding you Nonnie, but don't worry about the "pray" cause we do it at dinner to. Made me laugh, nice way to start the morning.

Margie 01-09-2012 02:22 PM

My aunt says "chimley for chimney and liberry for library"

When my children were little, I was in a hurry trying to get them moving to go somewhere. I said quit playing and put your "hoat and cat on"....my daughter said mommy, we dont have a cat. I still say hoat and cat instead of coat and hat to them sometimes(they are in their 40's now).

Caroline S 01-09-2012 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen (Post 4852978)
When I was a little kid I'd ask my Gramma "doin' Gramma" and she'd tell me she was "making layovers to catch meddlers."

Oh my, my father used that phrase a lot. It took my a long time to figure out what it meant. I think it meant "mind your own business". Thanks for bringing back a memory.

tesspug 01-09-2012 02:48 PM

My dad used to tell us if we wanted something we couldn't have to "spit in one hand and want in the other. See which one gets wet."

Marge L. 01-09-2012 04:36 PM

Once when I asked my 3 yr. old to hand me a cloth that was on the table, he seriously continued with what he was doing and answered, "Don't bodder me, I'm busy." It made me smile and remind me how many times I had probably said the same thing to him. Little ones can be teachers, too.

maryb119 01-09-2012 05:32 PM

My Grandmother had a saying when she ran short of fabric...she would have to chew thread and spit cloth! She managed to get all the pieces for what ever she was making but sometimes, there was not much left over.

Iraxy 01-09-2012 05:39 PM

"Oh my land!" my dmil (deceased) used to say in stead of Wow!.

On summer break on a visit to the coast, my MIL looked around our accommodations and said "Oh yeah, this is why they are called condominimums!