Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Odd things family members say...

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries

Wink Odd things family members say...

How about a thread with the strange things that family members have said? Funny things, not mean things. Comments that make you stop and think, "Huh???"

For example... today DH was sitting at his laptop computer and said:

"I'm brave. Watch me scroll!"

Huh?

He explained that he was trying to learn how to use that rectangular thingy instead of the mouse.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    I'm brave. Watch me ask.......
    rectangular thingy???

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

I think she means on the laptop, instead of connecting a mouse.

Hello all and Jan, havent been on much of late. This question is a fun topic. SO here is one from me, quote, me dogs is barkin. end quote ( My quote marks are broken. )

Mom and her kin use to say that after a long hard day of work, such as canning or butchering. It means their feet were sore and tired.
    Last edited by mrspete; 01-07-2012 at 04:51 PM.
    "Someone remembers, someone cares; your name is whispered in someones prayers."

When I was a little kid I'd ask my Gramma "doin' Gramma" and she'd tell me she was "making layovers to catch meddlers."

My mom, a native Englishwoman, used to mix up words left and right. One evening while sitting and visiting, my sister was talking about her new boyfriend. My mother got a very serious look on her face and asked her, "Are you using condominiums?"

We were still teasing her about that right up until she passed in 2010.
    Sheila N.

When Thomas Edison invented the light bulb, he tried over 2000 experiments before he got it to work. A young reporter asked him how it felt to fail so many times. He said, "I never failed once. I invented the light bulb. It just happened to be a 2000 step process."

Blog Entries
    I had a family member who had a "digital" camera - say with a hard g! we laughed so hard (not to her face of course!) she also informed us we had lymph noids in our bodies instead of lymph nodes. Love her to pieces!

I had a friend who would say "slap upside the wall" when she got excited about something.
    Have a great day sewing and remember to "not sweat the small stuff"!!

My mother -in-law whos 93 always calls pasta " passta" and tomato is "tomator" she even spells it that way always telling me I spell it wrong

When my youngest daughter was about 18 months, she greeted her Daddy when he returned home from work,

"Hi"

Pause.

"More hi."

She's 28 now and we still laugh about it.

I often have trouble sleeping at night. On one of "those" nights, I rolled over toward my sleeping DH. He opened his eyes very wide and yelled "rawr" into my face. Then he started to "rawr" a second time, but woke himself up. I asked him why he was roaring at me - his answer was - "There's an alien under the crib."

We both cracked up.

Blog Entries
    Our little neighbor (newly married with baby and speaks Spanish) came to visit when I had my surgery. She told us she would bring us outmeal for breakfast the next morning. We thought oookkkk?? Oatmeal?? So she brought it over and it was awesome, she called it Mexican oatmeal. When I asked her how she made it she said, you use creation milk, sugar, cinnamon sticks and oatmeal. My husband said, creation milk? She said, yeah, you know the milk in a can that has the littlle roses on it. She meant Carnation. What a sweetie she is.
    sewellie

It takes real skill to choke on air, fall upstairs and trip over completely nothing .... I have that skill!!!

My plate may be full, but my cup runneth over with blessings.

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cathyvv View Post
    I often have trouble sleeping at night. On one of "those" nights, I rolled over toward my sleeping DH. He opened his eyes very wide and yelled "rawr" into my face. Then he started to "rawr" a second time, but woke himself up. I asked him why he was roaring at me - his answer was - "There's an alien under the crib."

We both cracked up.
    Is he related to my DH?? Who says the strangest things in the stage between awake and asleep. I started writing them down. For instance, this one, which he said while his eyes were open:

"Incompetent ferrets run inside the dryer, but still the clothes get done."

I'm ... worried about him!

Blog Entries
    I had my home for sale and we had an aid that worked with us who was a real dumb blond(but had beautiful black hair). We were all sitting around the table and she said to me,"Have you had any nipples on your house. I asked her what she said and again she asked If I had any nipples on my house. Well by then the girls were holding their sides. I replied no nipples on my house. She just looked at me and said." I am really going to miss you but for your sake I hope you get some nipples soon."

We later told her what she said and she had no idea it was wrong. Still makes me laugh.

My Dad had a French accent. We used to tease him because he said crips instead of crisp. I still say crips now that he is gone. I miss him. He also could not say third with a th. I used to tease him with that one too...I would say turdy tree and a turd for 33 1/3,,,,,cracked me up. He would laugh right along with us.
    Besides my family, my pets are the most important things to me. I have had birds, a dog or cats since I was about 8 years old. The cruelest thing you can do to me is take my animals away.

My husband sometimes miss pronounces words and since he's done it for 60+years, I guess he's going to keep doing it. His entire family mumbles or what my mother used to call, "chewing their words." However, the first time I heard him say the word "wagon" I laughed so hard I almost peed. I kept saying, "Say it again." He'd say, "What? Wangon?" with this confused look on his face. He also pronounces the P and leaves out the N in pnuemonia so it comes out Pamonua! LOL He still says wangon and after 16+ years of marriage I've never gotten used to it--I still laugh.
    If no one ever experimented we'd all still be making 4 patches.

Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
    When I was a little kid I'd ask my Gramma "doin' Gramma" and she'd tell me she was "making layovers to catch meddlers."
    My Mom used to say that when ever we asked "What's this?" My Grandmother used to say "If wishes were horses then beggars could ride".

Kathie

Power Poster
    My granny had a lot of puzzling sayings. One we still use when we don't get exactly what we want is...."well, it's better than a sharp stick in the eye". Now mind you, almost anything is better than a sharp stick in the eye which I guess was the point of the saying.

I can think of a few.....one day I was washing dishes and my neice came into the kitchen, I said Hi! What's Uncle Ira doing? She replied 'diggin in his nuts'......I looked at her and said as calmly as I could...'what?' She said it again. I calmly walked to our bed room and sure enough he had his hands in his can of cashews! I still laugh about that one.
    Another time my friends husband said 'How do I look? I've been using special cream for my hawk eyes' I cracked up!! He meant crows feet!!!! One more....my friend told me that our mutual friend was talking about a pet that his wife wants. 'Mary wants a faggot! But I dont want a faggot because they smell bad and run all over the place. '

Blog Entries
    Remember the movie moose port? My ddcracks up because everytime I tried to say it it came out moose point!!

Blog Entries
    When my oldest son was about 4, he was given a Lego set that came with instructions. He called them "constructions", which we thought was logical.

My MIL, when waiting for the car in front of her to realize the light had turned green, will say "Pick any color! If you don't like green, pick a different color and go!"

When my youngest son was about 2 and I would do laundry, he would tell me he was "in of pants", as opposed to being out of pants.

My husband calls apartments "compartments".

When I was a child and my dad would get stuck driving behind someone who was going slow, he would often tell me it was an old man sitting on his hat. I never really understood that one, but one day, while driving with my now-17 year old son, I repeated it, and my son laughed so hard he cried.

Too many to count! My family is full of crazy sayings and even crazier songs.
    1) When someone would say, "What for?", the response is. "Cat fur to make kitten britches".
    2) If someone is holding you up, say "Well "poop" or get off the pot!"
    3) If something is close, it's pertnear.
    The list goes on and on.......
    Faith is not about everything turning out OK; Faith is about being OK no matter how things turn out.
    Renee

My mother would always call it an amblance for ambulance. I would always mispronounce aluminum by throwing an extra 'in' sound in there. I have to slow down and think the word through to pronounce it right.
    ABCDEFG

lol - gotta love it. I am so used to NOT using the mouse on my laptop, I had to think twice about the rectangular thingy!
    Sharon in Dayton
    ....with God, all things are possible....

I still get ragged about one that I did when computers were quite new. I had to give a presentation to fellow workers about how to operate the system and all the way through, I referred to the "sloppy disc" that one had to store the data on....my 'rotten' workmates could barely contain themselves. It took me a long time to stop laughing after they enlightened me as well.

More on the topic: I use two expressions which a lot of people laugh at but shouldn't, because I am usually pretty cheesed-off when I say them. They are,"leaping lizards" and "Well, that's enough to rot your socks!" - picked 'em up from my granny, along with "He's as mean as dammit!"

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast