Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   OH Boy, I am sure I have the old Singer (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/oh-boy-i-am-sure-i-have-old-singer-t258089.html)

sewingsuz 12-11-2014 04:10 PM

OH Boy, I am sure I have the old Singer

My Bernina is in for her annual service and I am trying to finish up some pillow cases for gifts and finish a xmas wall hanging. Well I got my Viking out and it is making a lot of noise. I tried this Singer Prelude I bought at Goodwill and It is making some loud noise. I finally got out my Singer 99k from the fifties and It is sewing like a champ. Now I know why so many of you girls and guys want the older noncomputerized machines. Wow!!!!!!I am going to go on now and finish. :thumbdown::eek::thumbup:

kathidahl 12-12-2014 07:01 AM

Yes, nice to not have to deal with technology...LOL

Tartan 12-12-2014 07:07 AM

Yep, just like the toilet tissue commercial....always have a back up!:D

ManiacQuilter2 12-12-2014 07:30 AM

My backup is an older Bernina mechanical but from the same line so they both use the same feet and accessories.

tessagin 12-12-2014 08:01 AM

Is it crazy for me to want a 2nd back up? DH thinks I'm nuts. I have 2; my 401 and 2662 (Singers). Went to an estate sale and there was a Singer FW. BUT wouldn't let me test it, had all attachments. The estate host wanted me to take her word for it. Wouldn't take it out of the case. She had a e-bay flyer to look at. $400. I walked away. If I can't test it, I'm walking especially for that price. ANd not be able to look at it. Hades no!!

oldtnquiltinglady 12-12-2014 01:16 PM

Oh, I am so sorry she did you that way, tessagin. This Louisiana witch says, though, "she'll get hers." We have a hateful estate host like her here in the Nashville area. I won't even go to one of her sales the first couple of days; I wait until she has gotten disgusted and leaves the rest of it to the helpers. I bought a wonderful Singer in a cabinet with all the stuff still in the drawers and stool from one of her sales for $45. It is the one I took to our houseboat.

Weenween 12-13-2014 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by sewingsuz (Post 7004463)
My Bernina is in for her annual service and I am trying to finish up some pillow cases for gifts and finish a xmas wall hanging. Well I got my Viking out and it is making a lot of noise. I tried this Singer Prelude I bought at Goodwill and It is making some loud noise. I finally got out my Singer 99k from the fifties and It is sewing like a champ. Now I know why so many of you girls and guys want the older noncomputerized machines. Wow!!!!!!I am going to go on now and finish. :thumbdown::eek::thumbup:

Sounds like me. One morning I went through 3 machines like that myself, I sure am glad I have an older Singer made in 1936 it did finish the job. THANK GOD for good sewing machines.

Onebyone 12-13-2014 07:26 AM

I don't know why any quilter wouldn't have a vintage mechanical machine no matter what other type of machine they may have. I would pick my vintage Singer 301 for my only machine if I had to choose. So glad I don't. LOL

purplefiend 12-13-2014 02:50 PM

This is why I often use a treadle machine. My favorite is a 1917 White Rotary.

DJ 12-13-2014 02:53 PM

I was just going to suggest ear plugs (LOL) till I read that you pulled out your trusty old Singer.