Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: OH Boy, I am sure I have the old Singer

OH Boy, I am sure I have the old Singer

My Bernina is in for her annual service and I am trying to finish up some pillow cases for gifts and finish a xmas wall hanging. Well I got my Viking out and it is making a lot of noise. I tried this Singer Prelude I bought at Goodwill and It is making some loud noise. I finally got out my Singer 99k from the fifties and It is sewing like a champ. Now I know why so many of you girls and guys want the older noncomputerized machines. Wow!!!!!!I am going to go on now and finish.
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland
    Blog Entries
    Yes, nice to not have to deal with technology...LOL

Power Poster
    Yep, just like the toilet tissue commercial....always have a back up!

My backup is an older Bernina mechanical but from the same line so they both use the same feet and accessories.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Is it crazy for me to want a 2nd back up? DH thinks I'm nuts. I have 2; my 401 and 2662 (Singers). Went to an estate sale and there was a Singer FW. BUT wouldn't let me test it, had all attachments. The estate host wanted me to take her word for it. Wouldn't take it out of the case. She had a e-bay flyer to look at. $400. I walked away. If I can't test it, I'm walking especially for that price. ANd not be able to look at it. Hades no!!

Blog Entries
    Oh, I am so sorry she did you that way, tessagin. This Louisiana witch says, though, "she'll get hers." We have a hateful estate host like her here in the Nashville area. I won't even go to one of her sales the first couple of days; I wait until she has gotten disgusted and leaves the rest of it to the helpers. I bought a wonderful Singer in a cabinet with all the stuff still in the drawers and stool from one of her sales for $45. It is the one I took to our houseboat.
    Make every day count for something!

JoAnn

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sewingsuz View Post
    My Bernina is in for her annual service and I am trying to finish up some pillow cases for gifts and finish a xmas wall hanging. Well I got my Viking out and it is making a lot of noise. I tried this Singer Prelude I bought at Goodwill and It is making some loud noise. I finally got out my Singer 99k from the fifties and It is sewing like a champ. Now I know why so many of you girls and guys want the older noncomputerized machines. Wow!!!!!!I am going to go on now and finish.
    Sounds like me. One morning I went through 3 machines like that myself, I sure am glad I have an older Singer made in 1936 it did finish the job. THANK GOD for good sewing machines.
    Singer 110 , Singer 7422,Singer AH458923, Singer AD075758, Singer 5528 Singer AE234907, Universal H300795 Kenmore 158.16540, Necchi 3354, Dressmaker S2402, Signature 103-303340, BICOR VX1005 Singer 242

I don't know why any quilter wouldn't have a vintage mechanical machine no matter what other type of machine they may have. I would pick my vintage Singer 301 for my only machine if I had to choose. So glad I don't. LOL
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

This is why I often use a treadle machine. My favorite is a 1917 White Rotary.

DJ
    I was just going to suggest ear plugs (LOL) till I read that you pulled out your trusty old Singer.

I have a FW that I love (DH got it from a friend who frequents estate auctions. Technically it's DH's, but he said I could use it...and I do! ) and I also have a Singer 99K that I got from the same friend. I do have to have it serviced, though. It's a good machine.
    When someone mentions quilting, I go to pieces!