Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Glass Etching

Glass Etching

My daughter and I worked yesterday on gifts for the 4 girls I work with. I wanted to do glass etching but never did it before. After testing it out on some glasses and a lot of time getting the old Cricut Personal to work the way we wanted I think they turned out really nice. Not perfect...but that is ok. I am really happy with them.

I spend $5.00 on the small glass dish and $6.00 for the big one. All in all after the Etch cream and the contact paper I probably only spent $15.00 on each girl and for that they get one big dish with their last name and one small dish with just the first letter of their last name. I have seen these on Etsy for close to $35.00-$45.00.

With a newer craft cutter - you could make a killing making these The hardest part was getting the paper to line up right on the glass before you put the etch cream on it.

Has anyone else done this? If so please post a picture...I am very interested
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Nice, think I would like to try this !

Blog Entries
    I used to do that and it was fun, now I h ave no one that can use it. good going.

Blog Entries
    nicely done
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

My husband did glass etching but he used a dentist drill. Did beautiful work.

too cool! thanks for the idea!

Blog Entries
    That is very nice. I have thought about doing that but haven't tried it yet.

Blog Entries
    That is a nice gift.
    Sweet Home Alabama

Back in the day when everyone I knew smoked, I'd put their name on a clear glass ashtray. So when some one said 'hey that's my ashtray' and got the reply 'I don't see your name on it' the owner could say "look closer!"

Very nice. I've done it before, don't have any pictures, but still have the stuff to do it with. It's lots of fun.

You can also buy the stick on stencils to do the etching, and then just peel them off!

I have done all kinds of things. Ash trays, bowls and glass panels in cupboard doors. I did vases for my daughters wedding-reception tables. I didn't like seeing the dishes in the cupboards so I removed the glass and did frosted designs on them. I didn't take pictures though, and we sold the house. Sorry. I did large items outside with large totes and garden hose to rinse. If you put the contact paper on the side you want to etch and tape the design on the opposite side, then take a craft knife and cut/remove the parts you want etched. Double check the edges of design -smooth with a credit card- then etch. Be sure to scrape extra cream off and put back into bottle to be reused then rinse. When dry check to be sure you didn't miss any spots. Reapply if needed. remove the contact paper. Make sure you do the design on the back side of item and you have the paper picture turned the correct way. It may be reversed depending on how you place it.

I've done it once at a Girl Scout Leader's camp I went with a friend. It is an interesting process.

Our adult daughter talked about doing some for gifts this year.

My dear departed MIL wrote out her chicken soup recipe (complete with mis-spellings and other Dorothy-ism's) - our entire family loves her soup! I've been toying with a way to put it on something to give to each family member....don't know if I could get that much detail with etching or not....

Quote Originally Posted by cminor View Post
    My daughter and I worked yesterday on gifts for the 4 girls I work with. I wanted to do glass etching but never did it before. After testing it out on some glasses and a lot of time getting the old Cricut Personal to work the way we wanted I think they turned out really nice. Not perfect...but that is ok. I am really happy with them.

I spend $5.00 on the small glass dish and $6.00 for the big one. All in all after the Etch cream and the contact paper I probably only spent $15.00 on each girl and for that they get one big dish with their last name and one small dish with just the first letter of their last name. I have seen these on Etsy for close to $35.00-$45.00.

With a newer craft cutter - you could make a killing making these The hardest part was getting the paper to line up right on the glass before you put the etch cream on it.

Has anyone else done this? If so please post a picture...I am very interested
    In the old days the process used to use some very dangerous chemicals, so I'm glad it is an easier procedure now. My great grandpa's business was stained glass, coloured glass and lead light work and I was always warned off the etching because of the need to wear masks and protective clothing. If we see any of it over here it is always from a particular era.